View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in foul; ball not yet alive

Interesting situation last night. Boys game, new partners I had never met before, much less worked with. I am U2. Game was competitive, but it was a good competitive spirit: kids were playing hard, but not mean; coaches were pretty vocal but only to be heard by their players.

Ball is out of bounds on the end line for a spot throw-in by A near A's basket. Subs are just completing entry and I have just been cleared by T to put the ball in play. There is right much pressure being applied for the throw-in (as was common by both teams throughout the game). As I instruct the thrower that this is a spot, partner C (who also happened to be the R) hits whistle and calls a double foul on a couple of kids (A & B) that are jerking each other around pretty good in trying to establish position. He reports it as a double, and we go to POI--the throw in.

I don't think he realizes it yet that the ball was not live, or even that that may have been a consideration.

How would you think you would handle this if you were either C (the calling official) or me (the administering official)? Thoughts appreciated.