The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 33
Time out-end of regulation?

Partner had a strange situation, cant seem to find a rule that addresses this. You guys are great so here we go...

Tie game, 5 seconds left A1 dribbles up the court, shoots a three and is fouled in the act. Foul occurs at the same time as the time expires...partner reports foul gives shooter three shots with no one on the lane. Now heres my question...

Kid misses first shot, opposing teams coach requests a time out....do you grant it? He does have time outs available.

Heres what partner did...he granted the time out, but said he didnt know if it was right but couldnt think of a rule where coach couldnt use it though. What do you think??

Side note: kid made 1 of three free throws to win the game~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Partner had a strange situation, cant seem to find a rule that addresses this. You guys are great so here we go...

Tie game, 5 seconds left A1 dribbles up the court, shoots a three and is fouled in the act. Foul occurs at the same time as the time expires...partner reports foul gives shooter three shots with no one on the lane. Now heres my question...

Kid misses first shot, opposing teams coach requests a time out....do you grant it? He does have time outs available.

Heres what partner did...he granted the time out, but said he didnt know if it was right but couldnt think of a rule where coach couldnt use it though. What do you think??

Side note: kid made 1 of three free throws to win the game~~~
You can (and should) grant one TO, but you can't grant successive TOs.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:28am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can (and should) grant one TO, but you can't grant successive TOs.
So, after he misses the 2nd shot, coach can call another TO. Not successive since the ball became live between them.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, after he misses the 2nd shot, coach can call another TO. Not successive since the ball became live between them.
Snaqwells,
Thanks for throwing in these extra explanations and expanding to the next scene. I continue to learn more about what I "thought" I already had figured out.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 04:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, after he misses the 2nd shot, coach can call another TO. Not successive since the ball became live between them.
No, sir. The live ball is not enough. The clock must run. Time-outs with the same time showing on the game clock are considered successive.

SUCCESSIVE TIME-OUTS
5.12.3 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. While the
try is in flight the horn sounds ending the fourth quarter playing time. The ball
continues its flight and goes through the basket to tie the score. Before A1
attempts the free throw as part of the fourth quarter, Team B captain requests and
is granted a 60-second time-out. Team A or B captain then requests a 30-second
time-out during the same dead-ball period. RULING: The second request is
denied. At the end of playing time for the fourth quarter or any overtime period,
successive time-outs shall not be granted. This means a time-out cannot be
granted either team until the clock has run in the extra period assuming the
free throw is missed.
Successive time-outs may be granted in all situations
except after time has expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Snaqwells,
Thanks for throwing in these extra explanations and expanding to the next scene. I continue to learn more about what I "thought" I already had figured out.
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 08:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 33
Thank you Nevada ref for the reference in the casebook. Thank you to all who replied~
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.
Oh c'mon, he's in the ballpark: he knew that something had to happen between the TO's!
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.
I'll take the blame for this one. I should have (or "should of") put the term Successive TOs in cinitial caps to indicate it was a defined term. In this case, it's defined in 4-TIME OUTS. THat would have led him to look it up and not make the error.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.

Reminds me of a guy who would T'up a mother that came out onto the court to comfort her injured only son!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:05pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Snaqwells,
Thanks for throwing in these extra explanations and expanding to the next scene. I continue to learn more about what I "thought" I already had figured out.
Actually, I meant to put a question mark on that one; I wasn't sure. It had been a long day with two long days to come (one more to go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No, sir. The live ball is not enough. The clock must run. Time-outs with the same time showing on the game clock are considered successive.

SUCCESSIVE TIME-OUTS
5.12.3 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. While the
try is in flight the horn sounds ending the fourth quarter playing time. The ball
continues its flight and goes through the basket to tie the score. Before A1
attempts the free throw as part of the fourth quarter, Team B captain requests and
is granted a 60-second time-out. Team A or B captain then requests a 30-second
time-out during the same dead-ball period. RULING: The second request is
denied. At the end of playing time for the fourth quarter or any overtime period,
successive time-outs shall not be granted. This means a time-out cannot be
granted either team until the clock has run in the extra period assuming the
free throw is missed.
Successive time-outs may be granted in all situations
except after time has expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period.
Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.
Two words....


Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll take the blame for this one. I should have (or "should of") put the term Successive TOs in cinitial caps to indicate it was a defined term. In this case, it's defined in 4-TIME OUTS. THat would have led him to look it up and not make the error.
Actually, I knew I was missing the definition of "successive timeouts," and was actually asking a question; albeit poorly.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 04:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
Reminds me of a guy who would T'up a mother that came out onto the court to comfort her injured only son!
There's a difference between being incorrect and just insensitive.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:39am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There's a difference between being incorrect and being just plain stoopid.
Fixed it for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 08:24pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There's a difference between being incorrect and just insensitive.
I'm shooting for neither, but at least I'm trying.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End of Regulation Sitch lmeadski Basketball 7 Sat Feb 09, 2008 07:08pm
Regulation Fences BigUmp56 Softball 4 Mon Mar 05, 2007 03:11pm
3-Player Regulation Bruce Ralston Volleyball 1 Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:23pm
time outs at end of regulation roadking Basketball 3 Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:43pm
"T" with no time left in regulation, score = 44 all Ridge Wiz Basketball 7 Fri Feb 01, 2002 06:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1