The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Time out-end of regulation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56811-time-out-end-regulation.html)

hugheske44 Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:47pm

Time out-end of regulation?

Partner had a strange situation, cant seem to find a rule that addresses this. You guys are great so here we go...

Tie game, 5 seconds left A1 dribbles up the court, shoots a three and is fouled in the act. Foul occurs at the same time as the time expires...partner reports foul gives shooter three shots with no one on the lane. Now heres my question...

Kid misses first shot, opposing teams coach requests a time out....do you grant it? He does have time outs available.

Heres what partner did...he granted the time out, but said he didnt know if it was right but couldnt think of a rule where coach couldnt use it though. What do you think??

Side note: kid made 1 of three free throws to win the game~~~

bob jenkins Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheske44 (Post 656913)
Partner had a strange situation, cant seem to find a rule that addresses this. You guys are great so here we go...

Tie game, 5 seconds left A1 dribbles up the court, shoots a three and is fouled in the act. Foul occurs at the same time as the time expires...partner reports foul gives shooter three shots with no one on the lane. Now heres my question...

Kid misses first shot, opposing teams coach requests a time out....do you grant it? He does have time outs available.

Heres what partner did...he granted the time out, but said he didnt know if it was right but couldnt think of a rule where coach couldnt use it though. What do you think??

Side note: kid made 1 of three free throws to win the game~~~

You can (and should) grant one TO, but you can't grant successive TOs.

Adam Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656920)
You can (and should) grant one TO, but you can't grant successive TOs.

So, after he misses the 2nd shot, coach can call another TO. Not successive since the ball became live between them.

Loudwhistle Sat Jan 30, 2010 03:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656929)
So, after he misses the 2nd shot, coach can call another TO. Not successive since the ball became live between them.

Snaqwells,
Thanks for throwing in these extra explanations and expanding to the next scene. I continue to learn more about what I "thought" I already had figured out.

Nevadaref Sat Jan 30, 2010 04:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 656929)

No, sir. The live ball is not enough. The clock must run. Time-outs with the same time showing on the game clock are considered successive.

SUCCESSIVE TIME-OUTS
5.12.3 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. While the
try is in flight the horn sounds ending the fourth quarter playing time. The ball
continues its flight and goes through the basket to tie the score. Before A1
attempts the free throw as part of the fourth quarter, Team B captain requests and
is granted a 60-second time-out. Team A or B captain then requests a 30-second
time-out during the same dead-ball period. RULING: The second request is
denied. At the end of playing time for the fourth quarter or any overtime period,
successive time-outs shall not be granted. This means a time-out cannot be
granted either team until the clock has run in the extra period – assuming the
free throw is missed.
Successive time-outs may be granted in all situations
except after time has expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 656950)
Snaqwells,
Thanks for throwing in these extra explanations and expanding to the next scene. I continue to learn more about what I "thought" I already had figured out.

Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful. :D

hugheske44 Sat Jan 30, 2010 08:07am

Thank you Nevada ref for the reference in the casebook. Thank you to all who replied~

mbyron Sat Jan 30, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 656951)
Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful. :D

Oh c'mon, he's in the ballpark: he knew that something had to happen between the TO's!

bob jenkins Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:32am

Quote:

I'll take the blame for this one. I should have (or "should of") put the term Successive TOs in cinitial caps to indicate it was a defined term. In this case, it's defined in 4-TIME OUTS. THat would have led him to look it up and not make the error.

Loudwhistle Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:44am

Oh yeah, except for the fact that he is dead wrong, what he is doing is just wonderful.

Reminds me of a guy who would T'up a mother that came out onto the court to comfort her injured only son!:D:D

Adam Sat Jan 30, 2010 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 656950)
Snaqwells,

Actually, I meant to put a question mark on that one; I wasn't sure. It had been a long day with two long days to come (one more to go).

Quote:

No, sir. The live ball is not enough. The clock must run. Time-outs with the same time showing on the game clock are considered successive.

SUCCESSIVE TIME-OUTS
5.12.3 SITUATION A: A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting. While the
try is in flight the horn sounds ending the fourth quarter playing time. The ball
continues its flight and goes through the basket to tie the score. Before A1
attempts the free throw as part of the fourth quarter, Team B captain requests and
is granted a 60-second time-out. Team A or B captain then requests a 30-second
time-out during the same dead-ball period. RULING: The second request is
denied. At the end of playing time for the fourth quarter or any overtime period,
successive time-outs shall not be granted. This means a time-out cannot be
granted either team until the clock has run in the extra period – assuming the
free throw is missed.
Successive time-outs may be granted in all situations
except after time has expired in the fourth quarter or any extra period.

Thanks.

Quote:

Two words....

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656994)
I'll take the blame for this one. I should have (or "should of") put the term Successive TOs in cinitial caps to indicate it was a defined term. In this case, it's defined in 4-TIME OUTS. THat would have led him to look it up and not make the error.

Actually, I knew I was missing the definition of "successive timeouts," and was actually asking a question; albeit poorly.

Nevadaref Sun Jan 31, 2010 04:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 656997)
Reminds me of a guy who would T'up a mother that came out onto the court to comfort her injured only son!:D:D

There's a difference between being incorrect and just insensitive. ;)

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 31, 2010 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 657176)
There's a difference between being incorrect and being just plain stoopid.

Fixed it for ya. :D

Adam Sun Jan 31, 2010 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 657176)
There's a difference between being incorrect and just insensitive. ;)

I'm shooting for neither, but at least I'm trying. :)