The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Recent Middle School game: Time expires with score @ 44 all. Visiting (white) assistant coach gets a "T" from my partner after horn of regulation & prior to beginning OT. We started OT with green receiving free throws & ball at mid court opposite scorers table. Was this correct?

What if: score was white 44, green 43 and green made a)no free throws, b)one free throw, c)two free throws? I assume the following; a)game over, white wins 44 to green 43, b)start OT green ball at mid court, c)green wins 45 to white 44. Are these correct? I'll be back Friday to read your response. I've got a game in 70 minutes.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
Recent Middle School game: Time expires with score @ 44 all. Visiting (white) assistant coach gets a "T" from my partner after horn of regulation & prior to beginning OT. We started OT with green receiving free throws & ball at mid court opposite scorers table. Was this correct?

What if: score was white 44, green 43 and green made a)no free throws, b)one free throw, c)two free throws? I assume the following; a)game over, white wins 44 to green 43, b)start OT green ball at mid court, c)green wins 45 to white 44. Are these correct? I'll be back Friday to read your response. I've got a game in 70 minutes.
The play was handled correctly.

Your assumptions are correct.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Is this the case? Tie score. Going into OT and a technical occurs after regulation time. One good FT and the game is over? I would've assumed the FTs for the T were just part of the extra period. Does anyone have a NFHS address for this one?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Quote:
Is this the case? Tie score. Going into OT and a technical occurs after regulation time. One good FT and the game is over? I would've assumed the FTs for the T were just part of the extra period. Does anyone have a NFHS address for this one?
He handled the situation correctly.

The assumptions that who made about the other situations are also correct.

Are you still confused?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Quote:
There is a subtle difference in his post. Situation 1 game is tied and either team is shooting the T. Situation 2 losing team is down by 1 point and is shooting the T.

Situation one the T is assessed as part of the OT.

Situation two the T is assessed as a part of the 4th quarter to determine if the outcome of the game will be affected.

Rules and Case 5-6-4 and 5-6-3 cover this pretty well
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

In other words:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
T to "White" ... What if:
score was white 44, green 43
and green made
I assume the following;
a)no free throws,a)game over, white wins 44 to green 43,
b)one free throw,b)start OT green ball at mid court,
c)two free throws? c)green wins 45 to white 44.

Are these correct? I'll be back Friday to read your response. I've got a game in 70 minutes.
I take issue with number b). The game was not tied, so the T and all associated action is part of the 4th quarter. The results of making one free throw is a tie game. Since there is no more regulation time, there is no mid-court inbound by "Green".

The OT will begin with a jump ball at mid-court.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Was BktballRef thinking the ball would be a Mid court, in sitch B, because OT is an extension of the 4th quarter?

RookieDude
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 06:31pm
In Memoriam

Re: In other words:

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
[/B]
I take issue with number b). The game was not tied, so the T and all associated action is part of the 4th quarter. The results of making one free throw is a tie game. Since there is no more regulation time, there is no mid-court inbound by "Green".

The OT will begin with a jump ball at mid-court. [/B][/QUOTE]Casebook play 5.6commentB covers it completely.Start the OT with a jump ball.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 1st, 2002 at 08:40 PM]