The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

KU/KSU Mechanics

Obviously not my position to critique since I'm at home and they are working the game but,

In the last minute when State scored to make it 68-69, did it not look like the defender took it in the chest and then did it not look like the calling official pointed the other way? I was a little confused when State went to the line for one. Not so worried about whether it was a block or charge, just interested in the mechanics.

There were several close block/charge calls that will be fun to look at on youtube. At least one that went KU's way I did not agree with and yes I am a Jayhawk fan. I had a hard time picking up on what the call was several times, and from the reaction of the crowd and announcers I wasn't the only one confused. At camps I've been to there was emphasis on "selling the tough call". There were several bangers were I thought the mechanic was almost casual. On the other hand, I like the mechanic of pointing right away on oob calls. All three on the crew looked crisp and convincing on some tough oob calls. Thoughts?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I am not a college official, so I'm not in a position to critique them.

Certainly a tough game to call. Even the announcers gave them their props. Several - go to the monitor situations.

In NCAA games I've watched, I rarely see the ole "lane violation" on free throws. KSU had it called against them twice in the last half. Wow!

Good game....even though it would have broken Mark's heart by going into OT!
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I thought the referee did a good job on the play. He signaled the foul, and then made the motion to count the basket. The signal was made in the direction of KU's bench, which could've looked like he was pointing that way. He never went to his head for the PC call. Perhaps he shouldn't have turned while making the signal, but that's pretty small beans.

Here, check out the video highlights: Kansas Jayhawks vs. Kansas State Wildcats - Recap - January 30, 2010 - ESPN

That really was a TOUGH game to call. A lot of contact, a lot of physical play, and a lot of fouls. It may have seen a little over-the-top if the refs "sold" every block/charge. I thought the refs AND the players did a good job of keeping the game from getting out of hand. There had been a good amount of flagrant conduct in last year's game, and lots of talk about "no love lost" between the team in the media... but players on both sides conducted themselves with great sportsmanship.

On a related note, I found something pretty interesting - every time #0 on KSU was whistled for a foul, he went over to the ref, put his arm around him and gave him a pat on the rump. There are a lot of players that try to endear themselves to the officials, and this is certainly better than the other end of the spectrum of yelling and screaming; but at what point does this get to be too much and you tell a player to knock it off?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pat the Bunny ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
He went over to the ref, put his arm around him and gave him a pat on the rump. There are a lot of players that try to endear themselves to the officials, and this is certainly better than the other end of the spectrum of yelling and screaming; but at what point does this get to be too much and you tell a player to knock it off?
Depends? Sometimes I like a good pat on the rump.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)