The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

tonight i went to see a local community college play; not to see the team, but to observe the officials, how they work, switch, etc in a college game.

i was amazed at the lack of professionalism by at least two of the officials. mechanics were awful, one of the officials did not raise his arm past his waist for ANY call...the other official looked as if he had his pants tucked into his shoes...

on the other hand, it makes me feel good for the propects to move up...
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Men's or Women's game??

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
tonight i went to see a local community college play; not to see the team, but to observe the officials, how they work, switch, etc in a college game.

i was amazed at the lack of professionalism by at least two of the officials. mechanics were awful, one of the officials did not raise his arm past his waist for ANY call...the other official looked as if he had his pants tucked into his shoes...

on the other hand, it makes me feel good for the propects to move up...
College mechanics are different than HS mechanics. CCA mechanics do not require the raising of the arm to signal an out of bounds play in either Men's and Women's basketball officiating. And I cannot speak for the other things, but you probably witness things that are perfectly acceptable at that level. We have had this discussion before, but at the college level, "how straight your arm" is never an issue that I have seen. The issue is to get the call right and to make sure that everyone knows what that is according to the limited mechanics. I was not there and I did not see what you saw, but you cannot measure a official that is doing a college game by HS standards.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

jr, i wasn't comparing h.s. mechanics...in fact, the official with the 'in question' mechanics even leaned against a padded wall 10 feet from the endline when he was the lead during play...

i've seen hs v. college mechanics...believe me, his were awful...
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:10am
Do not give a damn!!

I have said this before. But the only difference from a HS official and someone that does a college game, is that someone assigned the official the college game. Not that big of a deal in my opinion. So just because you see someone doing a college game, does not mean they are better officials. College officiating is about ability, availibility, going to the right camps or being seen by the right person. That is all it is about.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In my region moving up seems to be based on politics more than ability. I have watched some of the most experienced officials in the area, and worked games with a few, and have been amazed at how poorly some work. Mechanics sloppy, failure to hustle, out of shape, and even in a few cases a paucity of knowledge of the rules. Shocking and Sad!
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 08:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Some do not put in the work too now.

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
In my region moving up seems to be based on politics more than ability. I have watched some of the most experienced officials in the area, and worked games with a few, and have been amazed at how poorly some work. Mechanics sloppy, failure to hustle, out of shape, and even in a few cases a paucity of knowledge of the rules. Shocking and Sad!
I do not completely disagree with the politics claim, but I am sure there is more to it than that. The only reason I say this, is because if someone wants to move up in my area, they have to do some traveling or willing to travel. Sometimes the trips are more than 2 and a half to 3 hours one way. And I know guys who complain that going 45 minutes one way is too far for a HS game. Most college conferences regardless of part of the country are spread out over hundreds of miles in radius. So I am sure those guys regardless of ability went to the right camps (spent hundreds of dollars in some cases) and make themselves availible, when other guys sit at home and complain.

Peace