The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

I'm sure at one point or another in your officiating careers, you've used mechanics from another level of ball in a high school game. i know i have. Which do you think is the best mechanic for the NFHS to adopt?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 01:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

No stop clock signal for out of bounds plays. There is not need for it.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you 100% on that one, that's the mechanic i most frequently throw into my high school game. I hope this gets changed for the next officials manual.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I agree with you 100% on that one, that's the mechanic i most frequently throw into my high school game. I hope this gets changed for the next officials manual.
Probably won't happen that fast. It'll change eventually, IMHO, but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

That sucks. Just out of curiosity, when did the NCAA accept this mechanic??
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

I feel like Precision Time really brought about this change. Since the whistle stops the clock, there's really no need to raise the arm. I guess PT has been used universally in D1 for 5 or 6 years maybe.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 03:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I feel like Precision Time really brought about this change. Since the whistle stops the clock, there's really no need to raise the arm. I guess PT has been used universally in D1 for 5 or 6 years maybe.
The whistle _ALWAYS_ stops the clock in any basketball game. I just don't understand why this signal is necessary on an OOB, violation, etc.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 07:02am
Huck Finn

I agree with everything posted so far. I also think the college women's mechanics for inbounding the ball should be used. They count and chop with the same hand.
I think high school should go table side for 3 person games.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
I have two...

First, I use the spread arms to signify that the defensive player is not close enough for me to count closley guarded.

Second, I think that HS needs the Lead covering "on ball" in the strong side corner. If he has responsibility for OOB outside the arch, but has a strong post matchup, he has to choose to leave one or the other...there is no way to officiate post players and see a kid step on the baseline outside the 3-pt line.

I'd have to try the tableside mechanic to see if I liked it or not.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 08:42am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
Second, I think that HS needs the Lead covering "on ball" in the strong side corner. If he has responsibility for OOB outside the arch, but has a strong post matchup, he has to choose to leave one or the other...there is no way to officiate post players and see a kid step on the baseline outside the 3-pt line.
If you think about it, who can officiate the post play the best? Also, the leagues that use these mechanics don't really call off ball fouls (not many anyway). I think this is something we have to live with.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
Second, I think that HS needs the Lead covering "on ball" in the strong side corner.
I assume you're talking about FED 3-whistle mechanics, right? B/c in 2-whistle, this is already the case.

Quote:
there is no way to officiate post players and see a kid step on the baseline outside the 3-pt line.
I simply disagree. Having worked exclusively 2-whistle for HS games (with one exception), I know from experience that statement is just not true. Could there be a better system than requiring the Lead to do both? Absolutely. But it can be done. Go wide, young man. . .
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
Second, I think that HS needs the Lead covering "on ball" in the strong side corner.
I assume you're talking about FED 3-whistle mechanics, right? B/c in 2-whistle, this is already the case.

Quote:
there is no way to officiate post players and see a kid step on the baseline outside the 3-pt line.
I simply disagree. Having worked exclusively 2-whistle for HS games (with one exception), I know from experience that statement is just not true. Could there be a better system than requiring the Lead to do both? Absolutely. But it can be done. Go wide, young man. . .
And deep.

It's actually easier to get the foot then. And get more distance which opens up your angle on the actual play itself.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I agree that in 2-man we need to go wide and cover the area outside the 3-point line. When the ball moves to the corner I will usually go 3-5' off the endline and widen out to the 3-point line or just a step beyond so that I can look outside-in a little more.

The play that BK is suggesting has to do with the 3-man mechanics. I think in 3-man the mechanic becomes a little more difficult for L because the play would be out of L's primary, but isn't L is still responsible for the entire endline OOB? If so, then I can see BKs point. While L strong side, I'm concentrating on the post matchup because that is my primary. What happens when the player in the corner steps on the endline? As I understand the mechanic, L is not supposed to go that wide on 3-man.

(PC statement: The term "man" as used in this post is generic and is to refer to "mankind")
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:18am
Huck Finn

For me, the first adjustment for a 2-person game after a 3-person game when I'm the lead is to move off of the endline.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I agree witht he out of bounds... I dont always use it. If its not obvious that it went out of bands like his foot touched it or the ball hit the line or something then I'll put my hand in the air first.

I've been using the spread arms for closely guarded. I was using it before I realized it was an actual mechanic. "How come I'cant get my 5 sec count?" I just spread my arms out and BAM! everyone got it.... Amazing I say.

I like 2 man mechanics i think 30 sec timeouts should be at the circles (one on each side ) and 60 seconds at the top of the 3 pt arc or top of the key. Going down to the blocks is STUPID. Its like somone copied a 3-person manual and forgot to change that one section.

the whole hand point! I use two fingers when pointing... Its more like a point and not a navy signalman from WWII.

I like the NCAAs player control.(but I do use the fed signal) I use 75-85% of the prescribed Fed Mechanics(i'm trying to move up and you never know whos watching :-D - Besides i paid 150 bucks to goto camp to make my mechanics look good - might as well use 'em)... we dont always switch on fouls but definitly on shootfouls. But yeah - its the little things that I find make me feel more natural out on the court. I just hope we goto grey shirts soon... However I just got in my order of a new striped shirt :-/ I can still use it.