The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Signalling number with two hands

Ok Say I want to be a cool guy and signal the fouls to the table with two hands. If I call a foul on number 20, Which hand to I put the 2 in while looking at the table?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:55pm
Huck Finn

You do it from your right to left so they can read it from their left to right. 2 with your right, zero with your left.

Is this really an indication of someone trying to be cool or just another method to communicate. At the end of the day, besides what you are told locally, does it make a difference?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
At the end of the day, besides what you are told locally, does it make a difference?
Well, it depends on how you view the official NFHS mechanics. If you interpret them loosely, as a general indication of how we're to do things, subject to our local association, then I guess two hands is okay.

But, if you feel that, in order to be uniform with officials across the country, or for other reasons, you should stick to what the officials manual says, yes, it does make a difference, as the manual tells us to use one hand.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51 View Post
Ok Say I want to be a cool guy and signal the fouls to the table with two hands. If I call a foul on number 20, Which hand to I put the 2 in while looking at the table?
Forget trying to be cool, look professional and use one hand. Start with the 2.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a situation the wise ones:
As a teenager, I lost my left index finger (actually, I knew exactly where it landed, but...). It now ends basically at the knuckle. I signal all numbers with my right hand. The only time I feel it may be an issue is on free throws. I had an older guy on the front row behind me a couple weeks ago ask "How is he going to shoot one and half free throws?" I know the guy, so it wasn't a big deal, and I had to chuckle.

If you were me, what would you do, signal-wise?

BTW, signaling that an attempt is for 3-pts is so much easier for me than the rest of you.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord51 View Post
Two hand signaling is frowned upon in my association. Not cool
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA Foul reporting

In FIBA, according to what I've read, the numbers allowed are 4-15. When reporting a number after 10, the right hand is closed with the left hand showing 1-5 fingers. For single digits above 5, the mechanic/procedure is the right hand shows 5, the left hands shows the additional numer of fingers needed for 6-10.

However I thought that for NFHS reporting all fouls are actually supposed to be reported one-handed. When the 1st number is called, the palm of the hand is supposed to be facing the official with the numer of fingers showing for that number. The second numer is done via palm facing the table with the appropriate fingers.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:14pm
This IS My Social Life

Give 'Em A Hand...One Only, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
Two hand signaling is frowned upon in my association. Not cool
Prior to giving numbers with one hand, the somewhat accusatory pointing to the bench to show which team the foul is on is on the decline in our state, it seems. When one crew I work with is together, we tell the official scorer that the hand with which we report the number of the fouler signifies the bench whose team committed that foul. If blue team fouls, we report the number with the hand on blue bench's side, and vice versa.
Of course we also vocalize the color, but the redundancy confirms it for the table.
Some "table officials" have expressed their appreciation of that, for the sake of the clarity of it all.
Anybody else doing this?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Prior to giving numbers with one hand, the somewhat accusatory pointing to the bench to show which team the foul is on is on the decline in our state, it seems. When one crew I work with is together, we tell the official scorer that the hand with which we report the number of the fouler signifies the bench whose team committed that foul. If blue team fouls, we report the number with the hand on blue bench's side, and vice versa.
Of course we also vocalize the color, but the redundancy confirms it for the table.
Some "table officials" have expressed their appreciation of that, for the sake of the clarity of it all.
Anybody else doing this?
I only know of one person in our whole chapter who does that, and that's not the only thing he does uniquely compared to others in our chapter. I'm pretty sure doing that is frowned upon in our chapter.

Didn't your mother ever tell you it's not nice to point at people?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on your local mechanics. NFHS still says one-hand...Although some states (including Georgia, where I am) use 2 hand mechanics.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
However I thought that for NFHS reporting all fouls are actually supposed to be reported one-handed. When the 1st number is called, the palm of the hand is supposed to be facing the official with the numer of fingers showing for that number. The second numer is done via palm facing the table with the appropriate fingers.
Not surprisingly, this isn't correct.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Quote:
When the 1st number is called, the palm of the hand is supposed to be facing the official with the numer of fingers showing for that number. The second numer is done via palm facing the table with the appropriate fingers.
Huh? You're gonna get carpal tunnel syndrome twisting your hand like that. One hand only. No need to twist so palm is out then in.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd View Post
Huh? You're gonna get carpal tunnel syndrome twisting your hand like that. One hand only. No need to twist so palm is out then in.
Well thanks to an old job, I already have tendinitis of my right wrist.

I do see the idea however being presented about no flipping of the wrist.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't point at the bench, but as I say the color I point with my open palm and thumb tucked facing the table sideways with whichever hand is to the side that that team is sitting. In louder gyms, it helps the table.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:18pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Talking

Quote:
Well thanks to an old job, I already have tendinitis of my right wrist.
Did you handle crowd control at an X-rated movie house??