The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Signalling carry-over fouls

We've kicked around in great detail how fouls that carry over to kickoffs will be enforced. But we haven't talked much about how the R will signal them. For the basic case, say a 5-yard face mask by the defense during a score, it's easy. I would announce and signal the TD, announce and signal the foul, and then point at the 40. After the try, the HL will put the ball down on the 40, signal the foul again, and then pick up the ball and step off the yardage.

But what about the case where we have a personal foul by the defense on a successful try? Obviously the offense will want that foul on the kickoff instead of the 5-yarder. How do we signal this? I have two thoughts.

One is that the R will signal the foul on the try just like always, and that before the kickoff, the HL will then signal the original face mask, give the "declined" signal, signal the PF, and step off the yardage.

The other is to have the R do most of the work. (It's only fair. ) I see a sequence along these lines:

"The kick is good." (raise arms)
"During the try, personal foul... " (signal the PF)
"... against the defense." (point at the defense)
"The 15-yard penalty will be enforced on the kickoff." (point at the 40)
- (no changes so far, but then...)
"The previous 5-yard face mask penalty..." (signal the FM)
"... is now declined by rule." (signal declined)

What do others think?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanics

CANADIAN MECHANIC:

When 1 or >1 foul(s) are applied on the KO, the R is to start at the normal kick-off line (45; 35 if after a safety), signal the infraction and team, and voice the offender's number. Subsequent fouls have the R march the yards applied in the previous application and signal all over again.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

We were told to signal the foul, then the touchdown, and finally the enforcement spot (an arching signal to indicate the kickoff). Then if there is a second foul during the try, first signal the declined penalty, then signal the accepted penalty, then the try was successful, and finally the kickoff enforcement spot.

Then BJ or L will again signal all penalties and which is enforced and then walk off the yardage and line up teams for the kickoff.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Warrenkicker - I thought it was stated on another thread that the BJ would only give the signal for the foul that is being enforced. Agree with the rest of what you wrote.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is what the Preseason Guide by referee magazine shows to do. For the option of the penalty being enforced on the KO, do the following.
1. signal the penalty
2. signal the team committing the foul
3. signal the the TD counts
4. point upfield by using an arching motion with the outstretched arm to indicate the delayed enforcement
5. the BJ would walk off the penalty and give the signal

Now if there was a foul on the try, I'd give the penalty they were declining first, show it being declined, and then give the one accepted and point upfield in the same way. I would have the BJ just give the signal of the penalty he walked off.