The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame

Just did a game where our whole pregame consisted of the other two talking about work, high school sports and everything else except our game. Then we get on the court and it showed. Amazing ....
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
Just did a game where our whole pregame consisted of the other two talking about work, high school sports and everything else except our game. Then we get on the court and it showed. Amazing ....
So it goes...someway somehow even if your not the "R" you have to steer the conversation towards the game your working.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

When you find yourself in such a situation, just focus on yourself and don't worry about the other guys. After all, you can only control what you do.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
That's true. Sometimes I get the conversation back on track with "so how do you want to handle the subs?" or something like that to get the coversation back on track. If they insist on doing that, handle your game, and then just elect to call with officials that take the game a bit more seriously.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
That's true. Sometimes I get the conversation back on track with "so how do you want to handle the subs?" or something like that to get the conversation back on track. If they insist on doing that, handle your game, and then just elect to call with officials that take the game a bit more seriously.
Can't really control that at college level. Just get in and get out. Funny thing is both coaches were yelling at them the entire game and left me alone. I thought that was cool that it was that obvious who was prepared and who wasn't.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't really control that at college level. Just get in and get out. Funny thing is both coaches were yelling at them the entire game and left me alone. I thought that was cool that it was that obvious who was prepared and who wasn't.
Why can't you? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

If I find there is a reluctance to have a pregame, I'll bring up something that I may have a problem with "by the way guys, I sometimes lose my fouler, so help me" Now I might be making stuff up, but it starts the conversation and however loosely structured, anything discussed is a positive.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Why can't you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Guess it depends on how prolific your college schedule is. Me, definitely not in my best interest to tell my supervisors who I will or won't work with.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Guess it depends on how prolific your college schedule is. Me, definitely not in my best interest to tell my supervisors who I will or won't work with.
My mistake...I misinterpreted the response as in can't control what is talked about in a pregame.