devdog69,
I really like it !
Many times have I said to myself:
  • "I shoulda called something."
  • "I didn't see it clearly."
  • "Aw, crap! What happened?"
  • "Where's my Center?"
  • "...Kicked another one!"
    It's a new tool that I intend to use. It beats the hack out of a wild guess with good logic.
    mick
  • OUCH!!!
    Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 11:13pm
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tip of the year !

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    devdog69,
    I really like it !
    Many times have I said to myself:
  • "I shoulda called something."
  • "I didn't see it clearly."
  • "Aw, crap! What happened?"
  • "Where's my Center?"
  • "...Kicked another one!"
    It's a new tool that I intend to use. It beats the hack out of a wild guess with good logic.
    mick
  • OUCH!!!
    Jewel,
    I offended your sensitivity?
    Sorry.
    mick
    Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 11:21pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Tip of the year !

Quote:
    Originally posted by devdog69
    Mick, I hope you were joking. Although, I don't dispute the validity of the statement, I almost got sick at my stomach thinking of calling a foul based on something such as this.

Coach: How the hel! can you call that, his back was to you and you couldn't see it, and he got all ball, and he was all-world last year, and has never been called for a violation, much less a foul, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Mr. Official: Well, coach, ya see, he swiped down and the ball went up, and I have found thru my extensive research that that is generally an infraction of the rules.
    Well Devon, I guess if you're stupid enough to say that, you probably should be throwing up.

Juulie, OUCH? OUCH what?
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 06:48am
    Official Forum Member

Of course, if the players would swat up ("dig") at a dribbled ball, like we try to teach them, you wouldn't have to worry about this call as much!

- Catherine Aird
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 10:44am
    Esteemed Participant

Quote:
    Originally posted by theboys
    Of course, if the players would swat up ("dig") at a dribbled ball, like we try to teach them, you wouldn't have to worry about this call as much!

Amen to that...and Juulie - always remember that whether it is two or three person mechanics, you have to move to get your angle on the play...if as C you are seeing backs, move to get a better angle just as you would in two-person...if as C you do step down, and then your L comes across, don't be too quick to step back out - stay with your play until it is finished - pass, shot, dribble ended, etc - then move back out to T...
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 03:28pm
    Official Forum Member

LarryS. Yep, it was a good camp! Nothing like immersion in mechanics and games. Every one of my games was decided by less than 10 points, with one OT (not my fault! I was U2). I received many tips and suggestions for improving. e.g. Many folks seemed intent on completing their rotation even if it meant leaving a good angle on a play. I found myself staying at C longer than before camp and we had 2 C's many times because of it.......... Just meant I had to run harder to the other end!

PS, How about gym 3 - no AC and 100 degrees outside. whew!
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 03:29pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by bigwhistle
    Quote:
    Originally posted by LarryS
    One of the more experienced officials pointed out that if you are looking at the players backs from T, you missed a rotation and if you get to 2 on a 5-second closely guarded count at C you probably need to move
    So how was Glen Dixon as a clinician?
    I don't think he was an evaluator at our camp
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 04:35pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Todd Springer
    Don't get your feet planted in cement. The free throw line extended is a place to start. It is a good home base, but you are not glued to that spot. You may take a step down, or up to get a good look.
    Would this include stepping clear onto the floor?

I see the point about the C not seeing much of this. But I've seen several times when the ball is clearly in the Center's primary (Lead hadn't rotated yet), the ball-handler has their back to the Center, the defender is completely out of view behind the ball-handler, the defender swings (with or without a shot) and the ball flies wild. There MAY have been a foul, but maybe not. Some of these that I've seen, the C whistled, some no one did. How did the center know?

I myself was in this position a number of times at 3-whistle camp. I tended to call it, but didn't feel very confident. It was probably the case that the Lead should have rotated, but didn't do it soon enough. So when we are all more experienced these situations will be much reduced. I think that's what you are saying.

In the meantime, if I should find myself in this situation again, I will (a) try to step up or down for a better inside look, (b) not call, if I'm not sure, (c) talk to my partner later about rotating sooner.

And, I would suppose, go over it in pre-game.
    I know this will take some work, but it will help. Remember, if the play originates in your primary, take it to the hole.
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 08:16pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Tip of the year !

Quote:
    Originally posted by BktBallRef
    Quote:
    Mick, I hope you were joking. Although, I don't dispute the validity of the statement, I almost got sick at my stomach thinking of calling a foul based on something such as this.

Coach: How the hel! can you call that, his back was to you and you couldn't see it, and he got all ball, and he was all-world last year, and has never been called for a violation, much less a foul, blah, blah, blah, blah...

Mr. Official: Well, coach, ya see, he swiped down and the ball went up, and I have found thru my extensive research that that is generally an infraction of the rules.
    Well Devon, I guess if you're stupid enough to say that, you probably should be throwing up.

Juulie, OUCH? OUCH what?
    Stupid is as Stupid does, Forest.
    If the defender swipes down and the ball goes down, he probably got mostly ball. But if he swipes down and the ball goes up, you can be pretty darn sure there was a foul.

Ya know Tony, just because I disagree with your opinion does not make me stupid, nor does it make you stupid. If you want to make a call based on "he probably" or "you can be pretty darn sure", you go right ahead. Maybe that's the way they do it where you're at, fine. I am not going to guess, because that is how the phantom call comes about. I will trust my partner(s), I will trust my partner(s), I will trust my partner(s)... And please don't send me another profanity laden e-mail like you did on 1/27/02, I will not only forward it to Brad, but I will post it on this board. I don't expect nor want you to admit you're wrong, but be man enough to admit that other's differ with you're opinions and have the right to do so.

[Edited by devdog69 on Aug 27th, 2002 at 09:25 PM]
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 09:34pm
    Official Forum Member

You took the comment totally out of context. I never said that's the only thing that I would base the call on it. A call is based on many things.

What did I see? Was the contact on the arm or on the ball? Did I hear skin get slapped or did it sound like the ball was slapped? What happened when the contact occurred? What happened to the ball?

The comment was not meant to be all inclusive. It was meant as one thing that could be considered when you're unsure about the contact.

Also, I didn't say you were stupid. But to make such a remark to a coach woould be a stupid comment to make. I never advocated making such a comment either. But don't expect to post that my reply made you sick and not expect a response from me. You've been here long enough to know better than that.

BTW, we've hashed this out once but if you want to do it again, that's fine. My email was sent to you after you referred to me as a smarta$$ twice in the same post, as I thought it might be better to discuss the point in private. If you consider an email that had one profane word in it, explaining my position in the post, as profanity laced then so be it. I could care less what you do, post, or send to Brad or anybody else.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 27th, 2002 at 09:38 PM]
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 09:48pm
    Official Forum Member

As a matter of fact, certain profanity does offend me more than others, the use of the word f**k happens to be one of them. I don't believe I took your comments out of context, but do admit I misunderstood the reason you called me stupid. I quoted your comments from mick's post and have re-read all material and I believe you suggested a guess based on reaction, not what could be seen, but I will not argue that with you. I do see, that you said if I was to carry on the hypothetical conversation that I presented with a coach that, such conversation would be stupid. You would be correct, it most certainly would be, but that is the only way I could explain such a stupid call. I will trust my partner(s), I will trust my partner(s), I will trust my partner(s)...

You may be right that I knew you would respond, btw, but I didn't necessarily expect you to take it personally. I was just disagreeing with the theory in general and really not trying to start WWI over again. My hypothetical conversation was more for fun than to make fun, sarcasm, I believe I've heard you call it...

[Edited by devdog69 on Aug 27th, 2002 at 09:55 PM]
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 10:24pm
    In Memoriam

Whew!

That was close.
    Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 10:29pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    You may be right that I knew you would respond, btw, but I didn't necessarily expect you to take it personally.
    Just like you didn't expect me to take it personally when you twice called me a smarta$$ in January?
    Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 02:41am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tip of the year !

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    mick
    OUCH!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Jewel,
    I offended your sensitivity?
    Sorry.
    mick [/B][/QUOTE]

You offended the sensitivity of my "punny bone". It was a really Baaa...aad one!
    Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 07:34am
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    You may be right that I knew you would respond, btw, but I didn't necessarily expect you to take it personally.
    Just like you didn't expect me to take it personally when you twice called me a smarta$$ in January?
    You're right, Tony, how silly of me. I should know by now that you and only you can playfully jest with people on this board without them taking it seriously. My bad. And it wouldn't bother me to be called a smarta$$, but stupid? I don't think so.