View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 27, 2002, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Springer
Don't get your feet planted in cement. The free throw line extended is a place to start. It is a good home base, but you are not glued to that spot. You may take a step down, or up to get a good look.
Would this include stepping clear onto the floor?

I see the point about the C not seeing much of this. But I've seen several times when the ball is clearly in the Center's primary (Lead hadn't rotated yet), the ball-handler has their back to the Center, the defender is completely out of view behind the ball-handler, the defender swings (with or without a shot) and the ball flies wild. There MAY have been a foul, but maybe not. Some of these that I've seen, the C whistled, some no one did. How did the center know?

I myself was in this position a number of times at 3-whistle camp. I tended to call it, but didn't feel very confident. It was probably the case that the Lead should have rotated, but didn't do it soon enough. So when we are all more experienced these situations will be much reduced. I think that's what you are saying.

In the meantime, if I should find myself in this situation again, I will (a) try to step up or down for a better inside look, (b) not call, if I'm not sure, (c) talk to my partner later about rotating sooner.

And, I would suppose, go over it in pre-game.
I know this will take some work, but it will help. Remember, if the play originates in your primary, take it to the hole.