The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Violation? When?

Team A scores a basket. Team A sets up aggressive man-to-man press. B3 goes out of bounds to inbound the ball. B1, very tightly guarded by A1 appears to be trying to get open by cutting hard to the endline on the opposite side of the lane from where B3 is standing for the throw-in.

B1 is unable to get open and continues over the endline (remember, A1 had just scored). B1 continues to cut toward B3. Eventually, B1 cuts BEHIND B3.

Scenario A: B1 eventually stops to the right of B3. B3 passes the ball to B4 and B1 returns to the court along with B3.

Scenario B: B1 continues on to the court and receives the inbounds pass.

Scenario C: B1 continues on to the court, but does not receive the inbounds pass.

Violation in any/all cases? For what?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 06:12pm
In Memoriam

Legal in all cases.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Legal in all cases.
I concur Dr.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Got Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Team A scores a basket. Team A sets up aggressive man-to-man press. B3 goes out of bounds to inbound the ball. B1, very tightly guarded by A1 appears to be trying to get open by cutting hard to the endline on the opposite side of the lane from where B3 is standing for the throw-in.

B1 is unable to get open and continues over the endline (remember, A1 had just scored). B1 continues to cut toward B3. Eventually, B1 cuts BEHIND B3.

Scenario A: B1 eventually stops to the right of B3. B3 passes the ball to B4 and B1 returns to the court along with B3.

Scenario B: B1 continues on to the court and receives the inbounds pass.

Scenario C: B1 continues on to the court, but does not receive the inbounds pass.

Violation in any/all cases? For what?
Excellent Post! I have to admit I would have blown my whistle when he stepped out of bounds and I would have been wrong, never seen this type of move so hopefully my brain will remember if I ever do.

Last edited by Loudwhistle; Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 07:40pm.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Legal in all cases.
Yep. Teammates are allowed to be OOB behind the end line during a throw-in following a made or awarded goal by the opponents.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yep. Teammates are allowed to be OOB behind the end line during a throw-in following a made or awarded goal by the opponents.
I seem to remember an interesting discussion we had on this "out of bounds topic" where all five players were behind the end line after the basket and then had a jail-break type scenario........
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I dont understand why this concept is so complicated and difficult for some to either grasp or accept.

after a made basket the team throwing in the ball can have all 5 players out on the endline (period).
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I seem to remember an interesting discussion we had on this "out of bounds topic" where all five players were behind the end line after the basket and then had a jail-break type scenario........
We did, I even copied it and gave it to a varsity coach. Haven't seen it happen yet.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 06:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I dont understand why this concept is so complicated and difficult for some to either grasp or accept.

after a made basket the team throwing in the ball can have all 5 players out on the endline (period).
I believe it's because you just never see it done....and when you do, it catches many off guard and then you'll hear the inevitable - "HEY, THEY CAN'T DO THAT!"
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

The difficult part for me would be B 2,3,4 , etc stepping OOB after B1 gets the ball and is OOB for the throw -in . Doesn't seem like that part is specified in 7-5-7 a . from the wording i could conclude either way ,possibly . given that you experienced ref's aren't having a problem with this scenario ,I'd have to conclude that B2,3,4 etc can step out anytime before the 5 seconds has elapsed .
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
The difficult part for me would be B 2,3,4 , etc stepping OOB after B1 gets the ball and is OOB for the throw -in . Doesn't seem like that part is specified in 7-5-7 a . from the wording i could conclude either way ,possibly . given that you experienced ref's aren't having a problem with this scenario ,I'd have to conclude that B2,3,4 etc can step out anytime before the 5 seconds has elapsed .
Note that 7-5-7(a) says "teammate(s)"--singular or plural.

And note that rule 9-2-11 states that teammates being OOB after a throw-in begins is only a violation on a designated spot throw-in.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And note that rule 9-2-11 states that teammates being OOB after a throw-in begins is only a violation on a designated spot throw-in.
Good point , thanks . filed under my fine print section !
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I would suppose that the obvious caveat with all this movement going on is that you maintain a very observable, visual 5-second count.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I looked in the casebook I have with me (08-09) and 7.5.7a deals with throw-in spots for goaltending and there is no 9.2.11. I don't have my rules book. Is the numbering different from the casebook?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
I looked in the casebook I have with me (08-09) and 7.5.7a deals with throw-in spots for goaltending and there is no 9.2.11. I don't have my rules book. Is the numbering different from the casebook?
2009-2010 NFHS rule book ; rule 7, section 5,article 7 (a) : Any player of the team may make a direct throw in or he / she may pass the ball along the end line to teammate(s) outside the boundary .
2009-2010 case book ; there is no 9.2.11 . <><