The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

First Blarge

...or it should have been anyway.

I realized it after it happened. I want to get your thoughts on the situation.

Team A has the ball in transition. I'm already in position as the new lead on the endline. I'm on the right side of the lane, and A1 is driving down the left side. B1 is set up for the charge, and A1 makes contact, and displaces B1. I whistle and signal the charge.

But guess what? Partner has a block. He sprints to the table and reports the foul before I could blink.

Now I know what I should have done, and I won't let it happen again.

After the game, my partner said that he didn't hear my whistle or see me signal. He said that the call should go to whose ever primary area it is. Fine, but I'm not sure where he was in relation to the play.

Again this play was in transition. My question is, should this have been my call all the way since I was in position already?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

depends on what you pregame.

from the sound of this it happened in his primary and in my games the first whistle goes to the primary official. Partner should be the secondary. Assuming this contact took place at or outside the opposite block.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 11:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Now you are an official!!!

Peace
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Now you are an official!!!

Peace
Aw gee thanks Rut!
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
depends on what you pregame.

from the sound of this it happened in his primary and in my games the first whistle goes to the primary official. Partner should be the secondary. Assuming this contact took place at or outside the opposite block.
I see what you're saying. Does your point still hold true if he's, say, at the division line trying to keep up with the play?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I see what you're saying. Does your point still hold true if he's, say, at the division line trying to keep up with the play?
No. On a fast break (or long pass) The entire FC is the lead's primary until the trail is in position to cover their primary. If the trail was at the division line while the play was in the paint, that should be the lead's primary.

Even if the trail was in position, it could still be the lead's call depending on where the defender originated. The lead should be covering defenders originating in their primary when a play is coming in from outside their primary.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:40pm.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
...or it should have been anyway.

I realized it after it happened. I want to get your thoughts on the situation.

Team A has the ball in transition. I'm already in position as the new lead on the endline. I'm on the right side of the lane, and A1 is driving down the left side. B1 is set up for the charge, and A1 makes contact, and displaces B1. I whistle and signal the charge.

But guess what? Partner has a block. He sprints to the table and reports the foul before I could blink.

Now I know what I should have done, and I won't let it happen again.

After the game, my partner said that he didn't hear my whistle or see me signal. He said that the call should go to whose ever primary area it is. Fine, but I'm not sure where he was in relation to the play.

Again this play was in transition. My question is, should this have been my call all the way since I was in position already?
Yikes.......did the coaches see the signals?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Where was your partner?

Exactly where did the collision occur?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

report both the fouls and POI next time
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Where was your partner?

Exactly where did the collision occur?
That's the thing. I'm not exactly sure where he was.

The collision occurred pretty much on the opposite block from me.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Yikes.......did the coaches see the signals?
I don't know that. Neither coach said anything. This was right in front of A's bench, so his girl went to the line to shoot. The players sure noticed though.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's the thing. I'm not exactly sure where he was.

The collision occurred pretty much on the opposite block from me.
In the paint or outside the paint. If outside the paint, and your partner was in position to call it, then I say it was your partner's call to make.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:35am
Huck Finn

I think it is something you should cover in pregame. One thing I always talk about is the Lead's inclination to go with a charge or block immediately. Right or wrong this is what happens IMO. I also agree with the person who made the comment about plays during transition. As the Lead, you were likely trying to get back and receive the play which it sounds like you did successfully. Also, you are watching the play so you didn't know where the Trail (This was two man?) was.

On the flip side, the C or T should be given the opportunity to work his or her primary. I think it is a slippery slope at times, made worse by the fact that is could vary from night to night depending on what you pregame. In the end, I think the best advice is to pregame it and constantly attempt to improve awareness of things like double whistles and locating your partner to the best of your ability.

Was B1 the primary defender?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the paint or outside the paint. If outside the paint, and your partner was in position to call it, then I say it was your partner's call to make.
It was outside the paint. And I agree with you that if he was in position, it's his call all the way, and I should have just gone with a fist up or nothing at all.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I think it is something you should cover in pregame. One thing I always talk about is the Lead's inclination to go with a charge or block immediately. Right or wrong this is what happens IMO. I also agree with the person who made the comment about plays during transition. As the Lead, you were likely trying to get back and receive the play which it sounds like you did successfully. Also, you are watching the play so you didn't know where the Trail (This was two man?) was.

On the flip side, the C or T should be given the opportunity to work his or her primary. I think it is a slippery slope at times, made worse by the fact that is could vary from night to night depending on what you pregame. In the end, I think the best advice is to pregame it and constantly attempt to improve awareness of things like double whistles and locating your partner to the best of your ability.

Was B1 the primary defender?
I'll definitely be bringing this up in my next pregame. It was a 2-man game. If it were a 3 man game, this would be the C's call correct?