The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 09:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
A good night at the line

Saw this today. It happened in January, but the story is the accomplishment's listing in a to-be-published book.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templ...&z=19%20class=
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Pretty special! I guess there is an archive of official game results that were reviewed to determined that his results were third best for the new category? It sounds like Maine is a rather weak basketball state - probably hockey is pretty big there? Very impressive that he could keep that streak going with it being a topic of discussion on the bench -> i.e. extra pressure!!
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Just curious

I wonder how one of these guys would feel if they were in the process of this streak and one of their teammates violated? Would that count as a miss in the official stats?
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I played HS ball in Maine...at that time only 5 schools played hockey. When I was at UMaine, they started the hockey program and its success led to quite a few more schools playing hockey. But, basketball is still king there. We played Lee Academy and at that time they had no center line because it was a short court. Presses were murder there.

I think the FTA is just scratched if there is a violation. The violation would occur before the end of the try and it would be whistled dead.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I wonder how one of these guys would feel if they were in the process of this streak and one of their teammates violated? Would that count as a miss in the official stats?
I believe it would be considered a turnover by the player who committed the violation. Statistically speaking, no shot occurred. Think of it this way, for every shot taken, there can only be two results: made basket or a rebound. 98% of all rebounds are credited to a specific player - those that are not (i.e. foul during the rebound, ball knocked out of bounds prior to possession, ball bouncing over the backboard, etc) are considered Team Rebounds.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here's another stat question. If a player is fouled on the shot attempt and misses, does it count as an attempt in the stat book?
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If a player is fouled on the shot attempt and misses, does it count as an attempt in the stat book?
No. I've had that stressed to me by different coaches over the years; I'm not sure where you would go in order to obtain the official definitions of the stats for high school.
According to the 2005 NCAA Statisticians' manual: "A player should not be charged for a shot from the field or from the free-throw line influenced by the illegal actions of himself or herself, teammates, or opponents, unless the shot results in a field goal or free throw made. Shooting percentages should reflect as closely as possible the accuracy of the player and his or her team. Shooting percentages should not reflect shots that failed under the influence of illegal actions.
...which would also cover whether or not a teammate violating on a FT would be considered as a missed attempt (it would not - even if the shooter is the one who violated!).
Old Sun Apr 16, 2006, 12:23pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Exclamation Heres the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
NFHS Stats Manual:

The only times an FTA is charged on a violation is if the shooter fails to hit the rim or commits a violation him/herself. I'm not sure where my NFHS Stats manual is offhand so I can't provide an exact citation.

NCAA Stats Manual:

"SECTION 2—FREE THROWS
Article 1. A free-throw attempt (FTA) is charged any time a player shoots a free throw and there is no violation (or technical for goaltending) during the throw, with these exceptions:
(a) An attempt as well as a free throw made is credited if the shot is made and there is a violation by the defense.
(b) An attempt is charged if the only penalized violation is for the failure of the throw to touch the rim."

-- §2 of the NCAA Stat Manual

And to answer snaqwell's question:

If a player misses a shot and is fouled, an attempt is not charged unless either (1) the shot scores or a basket is awarded, or (2) the foul is ruled to have occurred after the shot.

For an exact wording, see §1 of the NCAA Basketball Stat Manual

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sun Apr 16, 2006 at 12:29pm.