The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Why don't coaches coach - rant

Why don't coaches coach? I don't understand why they think that repeatedly confronting officials, staring at officials etc is helping their team.

JUCO game - game goes well. Tight game that is always 3-4 points one way or the other. 8.2 seconds left - game tied at 77. Coming out of a timeout. V inbound to big man who has been driving baseline all night. H team figured it out and had 2 defenders shoulder to shoulder on baseline facing big man who begins his drive.

As he approaches defense - he lowers shoulder and DRIVES right through solar plexis of defender. Easiest p/c I've ever called. Coach going nuts and as I go to report asks how I could call that when defender was bent over his player like that - said his player couldn't even get vertical. I reported foul and then told coach he was bent over because his player knocked the wind out of him. Coach kindly requested a TO. Granted and he spent the next 90 seconds staring at me.

H put ball into play and drive for lay-up on other end. As P1 starts raising his arms to put in lay-up. B1 attempts to "strip" ball from behind by reaching around and punchinig with one hand and then the other. Ball is way above A1's head at this point. Partner whistles intentional foul - as he was in no way playing ball - he didn't even see it. Ball goe in. Score the basket - line up for FT's. Since intentional called - 2 throws and ball POI. Sinks both giving a 4 point lead. V Coach wants TO and is granted one.

Spends 90 seconds staring at partner.

A1 is given ball to inbound. Time remaining is 4.7 seconds. Inbound deflected back off A1 OOB. Violation ball to visiting team. Coach wants TO and is granted one. Now he walks towards center of court by FT lane by his bench - looks to crowd and starts to raise palms up in pathetic gesture. U2 walks over and says something to him. I later found out he told the coach that if continued he was going to end up hating all 3 officials. Coach stands there rest of TO.

B1 goes to inbound ball. Team looks confused. Finally he throws a hail mary long ball that is caught by A3 who holds ball and game over. Visition coach wasted 3 complete time outs and neveronce spoke to his team when game was tied or within 4 points with time on clock. Staring at us was not going to undo anything and IMHO really hurt his team.

That coach should have had to make the 3 hour bus trip in the luggage compartment. What a complete DUFAS!!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post

Spends 90 seconds staring at partner.

A1 is given ball to inbound. Time remaining is 4.7 seconds. Inbound deflected back off A1 OOB. Violation ball to visiting team. Coach wants TO and is granted one. Now he walks towards center of court by FT lane by his bench - looks to crowd and starts to raise palms up in pathetic gesture. U2 walks over and says something to him. I later found out he told the coach that if continued he was going to end up hating all 3 officials. Coach stands there rest of TO.
90 seconds? Aren't full timeouts in non-media college games 75 seconds?

Also, after he engaged in the first staredown, the second he came on the floor and started engaging the crowd (the second time) I would've whacked him. That would've been the end of that. If not, he would've gotten a second one and....that would've been the end of that.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Azzhole behavior!

There was a post on here a couple of years ago about a coach that requested a time out and during that time out he stared at one reff the whole time. Advanced search may help you find this. If my memory serves me right, it was determined that it would not be okay to call a T on this coach for this assinine behavior. [/B]
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yes - 75 seconds but same principle. He only got warned when he was starting to gesture to crowd. However - we didn't do anything for the stare except think he was an idiot. None of us cared about his staring at us - but were not going to let him incite the crowd with his behavior. After the warning he just stared into the crowd.

Maybe it was just therapy?
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You should have stared back the entire time - at his pants! If he kept up that behavior, then puke on his shoes!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
There was a post on here a couple of years ago about a coach that requested a time out and during that time out he stared at one reff the whole time. Advanced search may help you find this. If my memory serves me right, it was determined that it would not be okay to call a T on this coach for this assinine behavior. [/b]
I wouldn't whack a coach for staring.

I would whack a coach for inciting the crowd with gestures, especially after he spent an entire 75-second timeout staring at me. Let's just say the staring pretty much uses up all the tolerance I'd have going forward.
Official Forum Member

probably thinks that he is coaching

Wow...

I don't understand how a coach who behaves that way can even get a job at the JUCO level? WTF does he think he's accomplishing? Obviously trying to demonstrate his displeasure, but to what end? Some lame attempt to intimidate by staring? Just pathetic.

I'd guess that the assistant is doing any actual coaching at this point as far as what the team was going to try to do coming out of the time out. Still, the HC is not doing what he's paid to do at the most critical peroiod of time. Any other job and that's a failure and completely unacceptable.
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yes - 75 seconds but same principle. He only got warned when he was starting to gesture to crowd. However - we didn't do anything for the stare except think he was an idiot. None of us cared about his staring at us - but were not going to let him incite the crowd with his behavior. After the warning he just stared into the crowd.

Maybe it was just therapy?
Well, I remember you mentioning a 4th quarter in a previous juco post, so I was wondering if you were playing with a strange set of rules.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why don't coaches coach? I don't understand why they think that repeatedly confronting officials, staring at officials etc is helping their team.
JUCO at its core is a sleazy level where coaches often have to do sleazy things to get kids to play or to keep their jobs. It is not uncommon that these guys bring in kids that have no business playing college ball (because of their grades and other attitudes) and they bring them in and for some reason by January cannot keep many of their players. Often times you are dealing with coaches that think they can deal with you like they have to deal with their kids. Where NAIA schools have more consist standards to for academics and D3 and D2 get kids that really want to play and do what it takes to play as the scholarships are minimal. I think it is the nature of the level and because this is a "job" for many of these coaches they are under a lot of pressure. They do not win, they lose their jobs. I do see more reserved attitudes from other college levels I have worked.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Different school than previous post. I agree with JRut - but in this case the reason we do the games at this particular school is because the coach does have standards, and is not a sleasy guy.

During this game - his best scorer didn't dress as he had skipped class two days prior. Coach is a classy guy - and demands his kids are not only in class but doing the work and passing with at least a 2.0. AND he keeps track himself.

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard from a couple other officials that 70% of guys that play for him go on to a 4 yr campus. A few have played - most not after moving on. I think he has a great record - especially for JUCO!
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 01:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Different school than previous post. I agree with JRut - but in this case the reason we do the games at this particular school is because the coach does have standards, and is not a sleasy guy.

During this game - his best scorer didn't dress as he had skipped class two days prior. Coach is a classy guy - and demands his kids are not only in class but doing the work and passing with at least a 2.0. AND he keeps track himself.

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard from a couple other officials that 70% of guys that play for him go on to a 4 yr campus. A few have played - most not after moving on. I think he has a great record - especially for JUCO!
There are always coaches that do the right things and do not try to just take in any kid and try to make a difference in their lives. The problem is many of them do not do that and the institutions do not seem to care who they put forth on their teams and who coaches them. I have come in contact with really good guys at the JUCO level. The problem is these guys are not the norm. And when they deal with officials that edge they have to have with their players or administrations comes out at you. A D3 coach is often coaching at a small academic institution that values the education of their kids much more and is not making tons of money and they care about how the coach behaves on and off the court.

Peace