View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 22, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Why don't coaches coach - rant

Why don't coaches coach? I don't understand why they think that repeatedly confronting officials, staring at officials etc is helping their team.

JUCO game - game goes well. Tight game that is always 3-4 points one way or the other. 8.2 seconds left - game tied at 77. Coming out of a timeout. V inbound to big man who has been driving baseline all night. H team figured it out and had 2 defenders shoulder to shoulder on baseline facing big man who begins his drive.

As he approaches defense - he lowers shoulder and DRIVES right through solar plexis of defender. Easiest p/c I've ever called. Coach going nuts and as I go to report asks how I could call that when defender was bent over his player like that - said his player couldn't even get vertical. I reported foul and then told coach he was bent over because his player knocked the wind out of him. Coach kindly requested a TO. Granted and he spent the next 90 seconds staring at me.

H put ball into play and drive for lay-up on other end. As P1 starts raising his arms to put in lay-up. B1 attempts to "strip" ball from behind by reaching around and punchinig with one hand and then the other. Ball is way above A1's head at this point. Partner whistles intentional foul - as he was in no way playing ball - he didn't even see it. Ball goe in. Score the basket - line up for FT's. Since intentional called - 2 throws and ball POI. Sinks both giving a 4 point lead. V Coach wants TO and is granted one.

Spends 90 seconds staring at partner.

A1 is given ball to inbound. Time remaining is 4.7 seconds. Inbound deflected back off A1 OOB. Violation ball to visiting team. Coach wants TO and is granted one. Now he walks towards center of court by FT lane by his bench - looks to crowd and starts to raise palms up in pathetic gesture. U2 walks over and says something to him. I later found out he told the coach that if continued he was going to end up hating all 3 officials. Coach stands there rest of TO.

B1 goes to inbound ball. Team looks confused. Finally he throws a hail mary long ball that is caught by A3 who holds ball and game over. Visition coach wasted 3 complete time outs and neveronce spoke to his team when game was tied or within 4 points with time on clock. Staring at us was not going to undo anything and IMHO really hurt his team.

That coach should have had to make the 3 hour bus trip in the luggage compartment. What a complete DUFAS!!