The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Whitley, IN
Posts: 180
Need to Rant - Part I

7th grade A & B matches. Partner is not wearing a shirt with an IHSAA logo (as required), nor does he have the current year's patch (as required). He is wearing Docker pants and a braided belt though. I notice all these immediately but give him the benefit of the doubt. He wants to be R1 for the 1st match (A). He whistles teams together while still standing on the court. I begin checking lineups for R team, then turn around to find R1 still standing on the court, checking S team! They are out of order so he begins placing them in the proper order.

Match begins, and for half of the first set he uses the point signal Fed stopped using a couple of years back. I have flashbacks to Tony's post on the Fed board about a partner using the wrong signals, so I decide (right or wrong) to use the correct signals. He begins to mimic my signals after a while, though I still wait for him to signal first since I never know what the heck he is going to rule.

He is also a photographer for a local fish wrap, and he told me before the match he has to take pictures at the high school match that night. I can see him sweating since we started a half hour late (V team didn't arrive until match time). As soon as the match is over he is out of the gym before I even have a chance to sit down to change shoes.

First time I ever looked at possibly blocking a partner. Only when I go to the Arbiter to look his name up, his name is not there. Apparently he is not a registered official. I guess you don't have to be in order to do middle school matches, but why would you want to do them if you're not an official. Oh yeah, I forgot...for the money.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
Partner. . . is wearing Docker pants and a braided belt though.
Ok, this sounds like the belt/beltless discussion amongst basketball officials. But I have to admit that I wear navy blue Dockers. What should I be wearing?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Whitley, IN
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Ok, this sounds like the belt/beltless discussion amongst basketball officials. But I have to admit that I wear navy blue Dockers. What should I be wearing?
Sorry Scrapper, didn't mean to belittle anyone wearing Dockers. I wear Honigs beltless slacks. This year I actually switched over to wearing pleated slacks and I really like them a lot. Considering myself to be a softball umpire foremost, I was in the habit of wearing plain front slacks with western pockets. Took me a couple of matches to get out of the habit of reaching in my pockets from the side rather than the top.

If you want to see a really sharp dressed volleyball official, you should check out the current issue of NFHS Officials Quarterly. Of course if you don't have one yet you might find yourself out of luck as the ladies are buying those up quicker than they can print them!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 619
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
If you want to see a really sharp dressed volleyball official, you should check out the current issue of NFHS Officials Quarterly. Of course if you don't have one yet you might find yourself out of luck as the ladies are buying those up quicker than they can print them!
I don't care what anyone says, that dude is fugly.

__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
7th grade A & B matches. Partner is not wearing a shirt with an IHSAA logo (as required), nor does he have the current year's patch (as required). He is wearing Docker pants and a braided belt though. I notice all these immediately but give him the benefit of the doubt. He wants to be R1 for the 1st match (A). He whistles teams together while still standing on the court. I begin checking lineups for R team, then turn around to find R1 still standing on the court, checking S team! They are out of order so he begins placing them in the proper order.

Match begins, and for half of the first set he uses the point signal Fed stopped using a couple of years back. I have flashbacks to Tony's post on the Fed board about a partner using the wrong signals, so I decide (right or wrong) to use the correct signals. He begins to mimic my signals after a while, though I still wait for him to signal first since I never know what the heck he is going to rule.

He is also a photographer for a local fish wrap, and he told me before the match he has to take pictures at the high school match that night. I can see him sweating since we started a half hour late (V team didn't arrive until match time). As soon as the match is over he is out of the gym before I even have a chance to sit down to change shoes.

First time I ever looked at possibly blocking a partner. Only when I go to the Arbiter to look his name up, his name is not there. Apparently he is not a registered official. I guess you don't have to be in order to do middle school matches, but why would you want to do them if you're not an official. Oh yeah, I forgot...for the money.
____________________________

BB,
I used to do Jr. High ball in Southern Indiana. I had a few real doozies for partners, too. Learn, laugh, and leave it at the gym. One thing about Indiana, I don't miss the 3 out of 5 in varsity ball. I was R for JV and V one night. I got on the stand that night at 6:00pm and got off at 9:20. We do 2 out of 3. That's enough for me!
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
Sorry Scrapper, didn't mean to belittle anyone wearing Dockers. I wear Honigs beltless slacks.
Don't sweat it, I took no offense. Are the Honigs slacks polyester like basketball pants?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Just this side of crazy
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
I don't care what anyone says, that dude is fugly.

ZZ Top wrote a song about that guy - "Sharp Dressed Man"

Do you get royalties Felix?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Just this side of crazy
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Don't sweat it, I took no offense. Are the Honigs slacks polyester like basketball pants?
Scrapper - Here it is recommended to wear a polyester basketball slack. Makes it easy as I do basketball also.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 619
Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
ZZ Top wrote a song about that guy - "Sharp Dressed Man"

Do you get royalties Felix?
I didn't even get a *credit.*
__________________
Felix A. Madera
USAV Indoor National / Beach Zonal Referee
FIVB Qualified International Scorer
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Whitley, IN
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Don't sweat it, I took no offense. Are the Honigs slacks polyester like basketball pants?
That's exactly what they are. I would say you could wear your BB pants but it appears your volleyball uniform consists of navy blue pants rather than black.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYI...Equipment Rant jdmara Baseball 9 Fri May 02, 2008 09:29pm
Now THIS is a rant Larks Basketball 13 Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:00am
First rant of the season! tomegun Basketball 25 Thu Nov 15, 2007 08:12pm
The 3 versus 2 fallacies, a mini-rant - "Part deux" imaref Basketball 6 Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39am
Aaarrrgghhh Unsporting rant. DownTownTonyBrown Baseball 4 Tue Aug 03, 2004 04:37am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1