The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 208
Q from 1st Year: Who coaches after you DQ a coach?

I do exclusively Frosh and JV games. Almost always the coaching staff consists of 1 person. If you eject the coach, what happens? Site admin steps into slot? Dad from stands?

What do you need to be aware of here?

thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,123
There really is not right or wrong answer other than the one that comes from your state. Of course if there are coaches the assistants would take over. If that is not the case, only your state can tell you what is proper. Some people would not be allowed to coach and that classification would come from your state. The rulebook does not directly handle this or tell us who is allowed to coach.

BTW, we already realize by now that you are new. Why do you need to keep qualifying every post you create with the phrase "Q from 1st year?"

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 893
1 person coaching staff? Wow. I did a game tonight on the JV team, each team had 2 assistants. the Varsity had 4 or 5 assistants.

I have never done a game where there is only 1 even sub JV.

A Dad, yes. Maybe even a Mom.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 208
dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There really is not right or wrong answer other than the one that comes from your state. Of course if there are coaches the assistants would take over. If that is not the case, only your state can tell you what is proper. Some people would not be allowed to coach and that classification would come from your state. The rulebook does not directly handle this or tell us who is allowed to coach.

BTW, we already realize by now that you are new. Why do you need to keep qualifying every post you create with the phrase "Q from 1st year?"

Peace
seems like a way to personalize/categorize.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:06am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
seems like a way to personalize/categorize.
The reason I asked because most of the questions you ask are not unique to a first year official. This particular thread might even be asked by many veterans and has been asked by veterans on this site.

I was just curious.
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 412
Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
If a coach is DQ'ed the assistant takes over.
If there is no assistant then the captain takes over. If the captain then gets ejected the vice captain takes over and so on.
A person not in the scoresheet (like a parent) may NOT take over the job. They are not allowed in the beanch area and may not coach the team.
This is one of the reasons why every name should be in the scoresheet before the game and also why you should always make sure the captain is marked.
__________________
All posts I do refers to FIBA rules
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 10:42am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
If a coach is DQ'ed the assistant takes over.
If there is no assistant then the captain takes over. If the captain then gets ejected the vice captain takes over and so on.
A person not in the scoresheet (like a parent) may NOT take over the job. They are not allowed in the beanch area and may not coach the team.
This is one of the reasons why every name should be in the scoresheet before the game and also why you should always make sure the captain is marked.
Interesting insight into FIBA.
Here in the US, though, at the high school level, I have yet to hear of a single state that would allow the game to continue without an adult coach. Further, most states require this coach to have some sort of credential.

IOW, no coach = forfeit.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 412
Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
So you lose the game if the coach gets ejected :O?
Intresting
I might also say that if I called a game with 10 yearolds and the only coach got ejected I would most likley tell the dad coming over to stay but tell him to be quiet...
That is NOT the way you should do though, but in some situations you should bend the rules a bit and for me that qualifies
But if you have a game with older players and coach foul out, then you go with assistant or captain
__________________
All posts I do refers to FIBA rules
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 298
Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
1 person coaching staff? Wow. I did a game tonight on the JV team, each team had 2 assistants. the Varsity had 4 or 5 assistants.

I have never done a game where there is only 1 even sub JV.

A Dad, yes. Maybe even a Mom.
Back up in the UP (and I'm sure many other places), one coach is common for sub V. I had a JV game where we gave the JV coach 2 T's and the V coach stepped in to finish the game. The V assistants are usually the F/JV coaches.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:56am
ace ace is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 530
Send a message via AIM to ace
If you toss the JV coach - why couldnt the fresh coach fill in? unless you tossed him too.
__________________
John "acee" A.
Recently got a DWI - Driving With Icee.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:59am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
So you lose the game if the coach gets ejected :O?
Intresting
If it's a school level game, and there is no assistant to take over. BTW, I'd allow another coach from the school, principal, AD, etc to take over. I'll stretch pretty far before I declare a forfeit; but there has to be a reasonably responsible adult. Remember this is the US, liability ($$$$$) issues are key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
I might also say that if I called a game with 10 yearolds and the only coach got ejected I would most likley tell the dad coming over to stay but tell him to be quiet...
I may not tell him to be quiet right away, but he'd know after the first whine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
But if you have a game with older players and coach foul out, then you go with assistant or captain
Interesting.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:59am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
If you toss the JV coach - why couldnt the fresh coach fill in? unless you tossed him too.
He can, if he's there.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 412
Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Don't this mean that you can toss a coach in two games?
If you start of by tossing the coach of the frosh team, and the JV coach fills in. Then he manages to get tossed aswell. Then he comes back for the JVgame, and gets tossed again (he must have had a really really bad day for that to happen)
Could be intresting^^

And these are the rules
7.6 If there is an assistant coach his name must be entered on the scoresheet before the beginning of the game (his signature is not necessary). He shall assume all duties and powers of the coach if, for any reason, the coach is unable to continue.


7.8 The captain shall act as coach if there is no coach, or if the coach is unable to continue and there is no assistant coach entered on the scoresheet (or the latter is unable to continue). If the captain must leave the playing court, he may continue to act as coach however, if he must leave following a disqualifying foul, or if he is unable to act as coach because of injury, his substitute as captain may replace him as coach.
__________________
All posts I do refers to FIBA rules
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 298
Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
If you toss the JV coach - why couldnt the fresh coach fill in? unless you tossed him too.
Very true, but almost always no Frosh teams
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 01:51pm
ace ace is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 530
Send a message via AIM to ace
I'm reminded of a situation my first year out the shoots.

MS Game - 7th Grade games followed by 8th grade games (2 games each). 7th grade coach gets tossed by the 7th grade crew, and the 8th grade coach had to come out of the locker room to get tossed. I'm sitting behind the table with my co-official when the 8th grade coach asks the clock-op(old guy whos been doin the clock here forever form what i was told) "what'd he do tom?" "aw, you know, same old ****, trying to get to the refs and goin too far."

My co and I just had to laugh.
__________________
John "acee" A.
Recently got a DWI - Driving With Icee.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q from 1st Year: Coaches who call you by name... ca_rumperee Basketball 20 Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46am
More candidates for youth coach of the year OverAndBack Football 1 Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:56pm
FIRST TEE ON A COACH THIS YEAR!! rviotto13 Basketball 4 Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:09pm
Coach of the Year rainmaker Basketball 1 Tue Dec 07, 2004 04:21am
first year ref an first year coach blarson Basketball 4 Thu Dec 19, 2002 04:26pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1