The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Sport!

Last week I got a message on my cell about 8:15am from a MS AD. He said he lost an official for that night's game and asked if I could come. I called back and agreed to officiate and we confirmed the time. Since this school is very close by I go to the game dressed. I walked into the school, went to the teacher's lounge, left my coat on the chair, changed shoes, put on my whistle and walked into the gym. Much to my surprise it was a VOLLEYBALL game. And they were playing the school where I live! Thought I would die from embarassment. My partner has on her nice white polo shirt and I look like a zebra. I will never forget to ask which sport I'm officiating again!!!!!!!
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Exclamation

Coulda been worse. You coulda forgot your ice skates.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Bob... judging the title of the thread and after reading a couple lines I figured you agreed to officiate a wrestling match or something. LOL. At least it was a sport you were licensed in.

I get calls every now from ADs who know I work baseball and assume I work softball. The calls usually go something like this:

AD: Are you open on Thursday?
TJ: Yes.
AD: Would you like to come work at our place?
TJ: Sure. What time? Still play at the same baseball field?
AD: Well, we do, but this is a softball game.
TJ: Oh, well sorry I don't work softball.
AD: You don't? ...
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Bob... judging the title of the thread and after reading a couple lines I figured you agreed to officiate a wrestling match or something. LOL. At least it was a sport you were licensed in.

I get calls every now from ADs who know I work baseball and assume I work softball. The calls usually go something like this:

AD: Are you open on Thursday?
TJ: Yes.
AD: Would you like to come work at our place?
TJ: Sure. What time? Still play at the same baseball field?
AD: Well, we do, but this is a softball game.
TJ: Oh, well sorry I don't work softball.
AD: You don't? ...
I was once asked to to a Little League game at the local field just a few seconds from my house. Told the guy I only did basketball and soccer, he told me to pick up baseall and he'll give me games at that little league field. Considering it now...
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jack Of All Trades, Master Of One ...

Once showed up to watch my daughters high school varsity softball game. Athletic director, a colleague, and a friend of mine, approaches me and tells me that the junior varsity umpire didn't show, and can I work the game. I tell him that I only do basketball. He says that as a basketball official I should have enough game management, and fair play and sportsmanship, skills to handle it, and if I can't do it, the kids won't play (guilt trip ploy). So I mosey on up to the junior varsity field, meet with the two coaches and tell them that I'm only a fan, but am willing to give it a shot for the sake of the kids. I explain that if something weird comes up, like two players on the same base, interference, obstruction, infield fly rule, batting order, etc. I'm going to ask them for help. I didn't have a cup, or a mask, so I called balls and strikes from behind the pitcher. Didn't have a clicker so I used some pebbles on the ground, but still had to ask the scorekeeper for help a few times after a few foul balls. No complaints from the coaches. I actually had a good time. Athletic director sent me a check, which I returned to him and told him to put the money in the softball boosters club fund.

Similar situation at the middle school where I taught, for a soccer game, where the official was a no show. Both teams ready to go with no official anywhere in sight. Faculty manager asked me for help, same line, fair play, kids want to play, etc., etc. Talked to both coaches, explained that I was a recreation league assistant soccer coach, and that I would do the best I could. I felt that I did a good job, no problems from the coaches, even called a few offsides, so I took the check and took my wife out to dinner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 08:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Too Shy to Admit It

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Once showed up to watch my daughters high school varsity softball game. . . .
Similar situation at the middle school where I taught, for a soccer game . . .
Truth be told, BillyMac also once performed successful open heart surgery in a crowded opera house using nothing but a ballpoint pen.
He doesn't ever brag about it, though.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 08:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
so I took the check and took my wife out to dinner.
Did you tell her you only eat leftover cold TV dinners but you'd try going out to dinner even though you never did that before, since the guy who usually takes her didn't show?
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ball Point Wasn't Sharp Enough ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
BillyMac also once performed successful open heart surgery in a crowded opera house using nothing but a ballpoint pen.
Not true. It was a fountain pen, in a movie theater, and it was brain surgery.

Now, let me tell you about the time I did rocket science. It was a dark and stormy night ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 09:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Last winter, our CYO Varsity Boys team added a game. I misread the subject line in the e-mail and went to the game a week early. The positive side was that I knew where the school was when the game was played the folowing week.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

In addition to coaching basketball I also coach Rec League baseball. I am at the park to catch a game and the game I came to watch doesn't have umpires. Another parent and I agree to help them out. Same story...we aren't umpires but willing to help out etc.etc.
Part way through the game opposing coaches get into it about a call close play at first base. They weren't even arguing with us for the call. The first base coach was arguing with the head coach in the dugout behind him. I go over and tell them to take it down a notch. Game continues but now the one coach is giving me a fit from the dugout. I tell him to be quiet or I am going to toss him. "You can't do s..t because you aren't in charge." I told him that he put me in charge when he talked me into umpiring his game and I tossed him.
League director came over from other field when he heard the commotion and agreed with me. Upheld the ejection and coach had to go before the association board to answer for his actions.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Truth be told, BillyMac also once performed successful open heart surgery in a crowded opera house using nothing but a ballpoint pen.
He doesn't ever brag about it, though.
I'm not the least bit surprised. Just one question though...did he keep the check or return it to the insurance company?