The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Numerical order in the scorebook

Hey all, I have a buddy asking me and I don't have my rulebooks to research it with me at work. Is there a rule stating that players have to be entered into the official scorebook in numerical order? If anybody has it can you give me the rulesbook reference and text? TIA.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

2-11-1 note:It is recommendedthe team member's numbers be entered into the scorebook in numerical order
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:33am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
Hey all, I have a buddy asking me and I don't have my rulebooks to research it with me at work. Is there a rule stating that players have to be entered into the official scorebook in numerical order? If anybody has it can you give me the rulesbook reference and text? TIA.
Strictly a suggestion...

NFHS Rules Book 2009-2010 Page 17

Rule 2 SECTION 11 SCORER’S DUTIES
The scorer shall:
ART. 1 . . . Keep a record of the names and numbers of players who are to start
the game and of all substitutes who enter the game.
NOTE: It is recommended the team member’s numbers be entered into the scorebook in
numerical order.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there a rule stating that players have to be entered into the official scorebook in numerical order?
As phrased, the question should be answered, "No."

The rulebook's recommendation is an excellent one, however, and I believe that the vast majority of scorekeepers enter the players in numerical order. So common practice dictates doing it that way.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

so if the numbers are NOT entered numerically there can't be an admin T, correct? i only ask this because my coaching buddy had this called against him in a 7th grade game this season. apparently the other coach was adamant that since his players weren't in numerical order that it was an admin T against my buddy. the ref was reluctant to do this but i guess the other coach talked him into it. he was asking me and i have to admit it i had never heard of such a rule.

my buddy then proceeded to put the hurt on the other coach and his team and beat them by about 50.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

You can't call a T for failing to abide by a recommendation.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 10:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
so if the numbers are NOT entered numerically there can't be an admin T, correct? i only ask this because my coaching buddy had this called against him in a 7th grade game this season. apparently the other coach was adamant that since his players weren't in numerical order that it was an admin T against my buddy. the ref was reluctant to do this but i guess the other coach talked him into it. he was asking me and i have to admit it i had never heard of such a rule.

my buddy then proceeded to put the hurt on the other coach and his team and beat them by about 50.
LOL, I can't say I blame him for running up the score here.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
the ref was reluctant to do this but i guess the other coach talked him into it.
And the scorekeeper went along with this! Was the scorekeeper named.....er, never mind.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

What a maroon! Seems like the other coach has a bit more to worry about/concentrate on........
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
What a maroon! Seems like the other coach has a bit more to worry about/concentrate on........
Seems like the coach had an official ring him up for it once and wanted to hit the other coach for it.

That makes at least two officials who don't know the rule.

I had a partner this year delay the game because of this. He made them re-do the book in numerical order.

It was, apparently, actually enforced in his previous locale.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
well, i think this story kind of relates what kind of a coach we're dealing with here.

the other part that i left out... since opposing team got the ball at the division line instead of having a tip, my buddies team stole the inbounds and had an uncontested layup to go up 2-0 within 5 seconds of starting the game (other team missed both free throws).
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I had a partner this year delay the game because of this. He made them re-do the book in numerical order.

It was, apparently, actually enforced in his previous locale.
But, 7th graders? Sheesh!
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
well, i think this story kind of relates what kind of a coach we're dealing with here.
Absolutely! I had some adult, seasoned coaches get into an interesting discussion the other night about the ole "wreck league player participation rule." It was embarassing.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
But, 7th graders? Sheesh!
True.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely! I had some adult, seasoned coaches get into an interesting discussion the other night about the ole "wreck league player participation rule." It was embarassing.
Ugh, I hate that. Had a wreck game several years ago where the one coach was being a b*tch about the players participation rule, and the game got delayed for like 5 minutes because they were going back and forth about the one team's best player being in for so many "rounds". Wreck league here divides the quarters into 3 minutes, and every three minutes there is a mandatory substitution and depending on how many players are there that day each player is only allowed to play so many 3-minute periods, and can't be in more than two periods in a row. I had to get the league administrators involved, since they were there watching that day.