The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
I got baited

BJV tonight...

Varsity official watching the game said he saw the bait coming...

On a pass, B2 jumps up to tip the ball, A2 player fouls him. I call the foul, get some grief, play on.

Next possession, simultaneous/incidental contact (severe I suppose), partner and I didn't call anything. (NFHS 5-27 Art. 2) Coaches go crazy (from team that had call against them moments ago)

Team calls timeout. Head coach doesn't say a word, but after I report the timeout, assistant coach walks over and wants an explanation. (note: assistant was also head V coach)

He starts in, not being nice and I tell him, are you the head JV coach?

"Yes I am."

I stare at him and said I'm not explaining anything, if the head coach has a question I'll answer it. He goes, "You're not going to tell me anything." He then walks away...grumbling.

I should have whacked him right there but I let it go. Team breaks huddle and I quickly explain to the head coach that even though the contact was severe it was not a foul...he had no problems with it.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Never a good situation for anyone involved.

In your game, at least you didn't eject the head varsity coach from the JV game. (Which, BTW, I've never done, either - I ejected one from a freshman game )
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

???

1) Not sure I understand how you got baited here. And when I think of baiting I think of officials baiting coaches into Ts, not the other way around.

2) What would you have whacked him for? Lying about being the Head JV Coach. If you already knew he wasnt then why did you ask him?

3) The only time I will talk to assistants is during timeouts. If they have a reasonable question while the HC is addressing his players then I will give them a brief answer.

4) If you are a JV official who wants to move up then I dont think being a jerk or whacking Varsity coaches while they are helping out with the JV is a good route to go.

My $0.02
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to StripesOhio
Varsity official watching said he could see the head V coach tell the head JV coach to call timeout. It wasn't that i didn't want to talk to him and explain, it was his approach and inability to be calm and professional while asking.

And when he started giving me attitude that's when I played the, are-you-the-head-coach/if not walk away card.

Trust me, a V coach really has to be unsporting to get T from me. For that matter, I don't get crazy with T's unless it absolutely warrants one.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I hear ya.

But I still think I would have handled it a little differently. When the V-Coach was talking to you and not being calm or professional then I would just say, "Coach if you have a legitimate question we can talk basketball but if you are gonna scream and try to berate me then its not gonna work." If he continues to the same way then you walk away or whack him if you must.

I think you get further that way and come across as the bigger person and in better control of the situation. When you pull the "are you the Head JV Coach" card with the Varsity coach then you are playing a "gotcha" game. And in the long run, you're not gonna win playing that game, especially as a JV official dealing with a Varsity coach.

Again, just my $0.02
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
BJV tonight...

On a pass, B2 jumps up to tip the ball, A2 player fouls him. I call the foul, get some grief, play on.

Next possession, simultaneous/incidental contact (severe I suppose), partner and I didn't call anything. (NFHS 5-27 Art. 2) Coaches go crazy (from team that had call against them moments ago)

Team calls timeout. Head coach doesn't say a word, but after I report the timeout, assistant coach walks over and wants an explanation. (note: assistant was also head V coach)

"Yes I am."

I stare at him and said I'm not explaining anything, if the head coach has a question I'll answer it. He goes, "You're not going to tell me anything." He then walks away...grumbling.

I should have whacked him right there but I let it go. Team breaks huddle and I quickly explain to the head coach that even though the contact was severe it was not a foul...he had no problems with it.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda
Let it go, not worthy of a T as you describe it. Mi dos pesos.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 11:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
I stare at him and said I'm not explaining anything, if the head coach has a question I'll answer it. He goes, "You're not going to tell me anything."
Remember "I'll talk to the organ grinder but not the monkey" from a previous thread? You could have used it here.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BJV tonight...

"Yes I am."

Shoulda/woulda/coulda
Stripes-
Looking to move up to the V level just like you. I often have games where the V coach sits on the JV bench and/or acts as an AC during the JV game. I've encountered sitch's similar to yours, and I agree with the reply posted earlier that a T to the VHC is not going to help your chances for career advancement.
Now having said that, and being a new ref who's traveling the exact same "officiating highway" as you, IMO you baited yourself. You stated that you knew he was the HVC. I'm assuming that when you took the the floor prior to the start of the game, that as you and your P were introducing yourself to the coaches, that you determined who the HJVC was for that game. If you did, then why ask the HVC coach the question you asked him? It appears from your OP that you knew he was acting in the capacity of AJVC? Your question to him backed yourself into a corner, he gave you a wiseass reply, you have to decide how you're going to react to it...T? no T?
You seem to have indicates that there are times, if asked in a proper manner, you'll provide an AC an explanation which is fine. I'm sure there have been times when you told an AC that you're only going to listen to the HC. Apply the same approach here, treat (respectfully) the HVC like an AJVC because at that moment that's what he is. The VHC can't have it both ways. It's not fair to you or his HJVC.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BJV tonight...

Simply ask him if he has a legitimate question. If so, answer quietly and walk away. If not - walk away. You do not have to explain/justify anything especially to an AC and you do not have to listen to ranting. Doing so will just get someone into trouble - either the coach when you T him up for crossing a line, or yourself, for not having the ba!!s to T him up when he deserves it.