Thread: I got baited
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripesOhio View Post
BJV tonight...

Varsity official watching the game said he saw the bait coming...

On a pass, B2 jumps up to tip the ball, A2 player fouls him. I call the foul, get some grief, play on.

Next possession, simultaneous/incidental contact (severe I suppose), partner and I didn't call anything. (NFHS 5-27 Art. 2) Coaches go crazy (from team that had call against them moments ago)

Team calls timeout. Head coach doesn't say a word, but after I report the timeout, assistant coach walks over and wants an explanation. (note: assistant was also head V coach)

He starts in, not being nice and I tell him, are you the head JV coach?

"Yes I am."

I stare at him and said I'm not explaining anything, if the head coach has a question I'll answer it. He goes, "You're not going to tell me anything." He then walks away...grumbling.

I should have whacked him right there but I let it go. Team breaks huddle and I quickly explain to the head coach that even though the contact was severe it was not a foul...he had no problems with it.

Shoulda/woulda/coulda
Stripes-
Looking to move up to the V level just like you. I often have games where the V coach sits on the JV bench and/or acts as an AC during the JV game. I've encountered sitch's similar to yours, and I agree with the reply posted earlier that a T to the VHC is not going to help your chances for career advancement.
Now having said that, and being a new ref who's traveling the exact same "officiating highway" as you, IMO you baited yourself. You stated that you knew he was the HVC. I'm assuming that when you took the the floor prior to the start of the game, that as you and your P were introducing yourself to the coaches, that you determined who the HJVC was for that game. If you did, then why ask the HVC coach the question you asked him? It appears from your OP that you knew he was acting in the capacity of AJVC? Your question to him backed yourself into a corner, he gave you a wiseass reply, you have to decide how you're going to react to it...T? no T?
You seem to have indicates that there are times, if asked in a proper manner, you'll provide an AC an explanation which is fine. I'm sure there have been times when you told an AC that you're only going to listen to the HC. Apply the same approach here, treat (respectfully) the HVC like an AJVC because at that moment that's what he is. The VHC can't have it both ways. It's not fair to you or his HJVC.