The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And suddenly I'm happy I have to get up Saturday morning to meet with some friends. I'll check the board before I leave the house.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:08pm
Official Fiveum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
chseagle & rookiedude pregame:

"Hi I am chseagle, part time shot clock operator/part time crowd control representative, part-time popcorn seller. I will help you as much as I can. I reserve the right to overrule any call you make because after watching the NBA for years, especially that rules genius Billy Packer, I know all the rules. I have been looking forward to working with you"
Fixed it for ya'.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Fixed it for ya'.
Billy Packer was not an NBA analyst to the best of my knowledge. Now go back in there and fix it right!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Use Bill Walton, he's a genius, too!
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
chseagle & rookiedude pregame:

"Hi I am chseagle, part time shot clock operator/part time crowd control representative. I will help you as much as I can. I reserve the right to overrule any call you make. I have been looking forward to working with you"
How many times do I have to say that the officials have final say? If I observe something like a sub with bobbies pins in hair or multiple coaches in coaches box, I just mention it to the officials. The officials have final say in what is going to be done concerning if a penalty is assessed.

Rookiedude,

Are you just scheduled for the Boys' V?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How many times do I have to say that the officials have final say? If I observe something like a sub with bobbies pins in hair or multiple coaches in coaches box, I just mention it to the officials. The officials have final say in what is going to be done concerning if a penalty is assessed.
If the "multiple coaches standing" are a problem with your being able to see the action, say you're having trouble seeing the action.

Don't tell me multiple coaches are standing just because it's against the rules.

In fact, don't tell me anything just because it's against the rules.

If you see something unsafe (like bobby pins), some would find that helpful. I'd still find it outside your responsibility, but whatever.

And officials don't have the final say. They have the only say.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
if the "multiple coaches standing" are a problem with your being able to see the action, say you're having trouble seeing the action.

Don't tell me multiple coaches are standing just because it's against the rules.

In fact, don't tell me anything just because it's against the rules.

If you see something unsafe (like bobby pins), some would find that helpful. I'd still find it outside your responsibility, but whatever.

And officials don't have the final say. They have the only say.
final say=only say
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:45pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
The only time so far I've done Varsity Scoreboard/Timer, was at 4A Regionals last February.

For Varsity games, I've been doing shot clock. However I don't do it every game.
Perhaps we can initiate a petition to the Athletic Director at 509-xxx-2911 and request he appoint our favorite poster to work the table at the Varsity game this Friday night. I am sure it will make rookiedude's day to have at least one reliable member on the table crew to consult with regarding rules issues and shot clock problems.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Perhaps we can initiate a petition to the Athletic Director at 509-xxx-2911 and request he appoint our favorite poster to work the table at the Varsity game this Friday night. I am sure it will make rookiedude's day to have at least one reliable member on the table crew to consult with regarding rules issues and shot clock problems.
I like the person that does Varsity Scoreboard/Timing, although she was running off of older regulations, that has since changed, she does a great job.

If I was asked to do it, I'd request someone else do it especially with the game that's scheduled.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Nobody reads those petitions anyway.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Fixed it for ya'.
Sorry but the NBA is way overrated, college & high school hoops are a lot funner to watch than overpaid chimps.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2010, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Can we get chseagle a custom title? Instead of Registered User can it say "JV Clock Operator" or maybe "Crowd Control"?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Anyone else have the feeling that chseagle has yelled "Citizen's arrest!" Citizen's arrest!" at some point in his life?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
Anyone else have the feeling that chseagle has yelled "Citizen's arrest!" Citizen's arrest!" at some point in his life?
Have only done it when there's been due cause to do so.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rookiedude,

Are you just scheduled for the Boys' V?
chs....

Please refer to NFHS Rules Book Section 12. Articles 1-7. There is nothing that states your job is to help with bobbie pin, coaches box issues or anything else you seem to think is part of your duties as shot clock operator.

Actually the rule book doesn't even reference shot clock operators and their duties....kinda like an assistant coach....persona non grata....so I am stretching your contributions to the game by including you with the timer's responsibilities.