The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Hi All:

I have been reading posts in this forum for a couple of weeks now and there is always great subject matter.

A little background, I ref 3 sports in Southeast minnesota obviously including basketball. I have reffed HS varsity for 3 full seasons now and also do a fair amount of JuCo ball. I have attended a womens MIAC (d2/3 college) camp and have a couple of contracts in late January that I am looking forward to. I would really like to continue to advance in college ball.

Thanks all in advance for letting me participate!!!
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Welcome to the board, 3MN. We always enjoy a new voice, especially one with experience and perspective. There are two things to remember here, and they are both important.

1) Always, when posting or reading, remember to clarify which set of rules is under discussion.

B) Don't ever take a side in the Presence/Rules Knowledge discussion. You're a lot better off in the mushy middle!!
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Take a side!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

B) Don't ever take a side in the Presence/Rules Knowledge discussion. You're a lot better off in the mushy middle!!
Nothing wrong with taking a side on this or any issue. Just always understand that whatever side you take or information that you have to offer, realize that just like politics, people will disagree with your point of view. The reason this board or any board is wonderful, is you learn that you are not the only official or coach that has a point of view on the rules, mechanics or philosophy.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Also,

Remember one other critical thing:

1) If you agree with Rut, at any time, there are a number of people who will disagree with that finding just BECAUSE Rut is on one side of the issue.

Tee
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: Also,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Remember one other critical thing:

1) If you agree with Rut, at any time, there are a number of people who will disagree with that finding just BECAUSE Rut is on one side of the issue.

Tee
Tim,

I do agree with that. Especially when it is the same people.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Welcome to the board, 3MN. We always enjoy a new voice, especially one with experience and perspective. There are two things to remember here, and they are both important.

1) Always, when posting or reading, remember to clarify which set of rules is under discussion.

Once again, thanks to Julie for brightening up this board with some good ol' Car Talk material.

For my suggestion, never ask about the history of a rules change, particularly still active rules that aren't in the book. You'll get a doctoral thesis-length post from MTD, Sr. on how exactly the rules changed.

If ever in trouble, though, just remember "WWMTDSRD?" - What Would Mark T. Denucci, Sr. Do?
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard MN 3 Sport

I grew up near the area you are currently working. (La Crosse)

Looking forward to hearing some of the "back home" stories.

What are the 2 other sports?
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
never ask about the history of a rules change, particularly still active rules that aren't in the book. You'll get a doctoral thesis-length post from MTD, Sr. on how exactly the rules changed
Normally, I'd agree with you, Mark. But when is the last time MTD posted? I haven't seen a post from him in weeks. His profile says his last post was on Dec. 17. Not as long as I thought. Maybe he's just lurking quietly.

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I also work HS football 3 yrs, and have 4-5 JuCo football games next year. In the spring I work HS baseball and Softball. I am working on getting some WIAC/MIAC contracts there as well. SUmmer takes ge into legion and amateur baseball. Either I am nuts or I really enjoy putting on the stripes/mask. (So far it is the latter)
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

MN3-
Welcome to the board-
I guess you can tell from some of the post above.....We also like to have a little fun!

AK ref SE
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 03:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: Welcome aboard MN 3 Sport

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

What are the 2 other sports?
Probably ice fishing and lutefisk eating. I only know about these because my wife is Swedish.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Grumpy Old Men

The movie, "Grumpy Old Men" was filmed in Wabasha, MN. I presume MN 3 Sport knows of this area.

Yes, plenty of ice fishin', and beer drinking goes on here,

Ya Swen.

Donchya know, Ole.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Where else can you publish a doctoral disteration and agree with JRut all at the same time. I enjoy this board. Just don't forget to come back every now and then. It can be a bear trying to catch up on all the threads you have not looked at in a while. Especially now when the season is going a we are all coming up with questions and situations. Also, in dealing with Rut and MTD, check with your local association or state interpretor before you try anything suggested on this board. Not all states call the game the same way and not all levels are called the same way.