The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

1. Fist and whistle
2. Verbalize color and number(whole number)
3. Preliminary signal only if needed for clarification or a sell
4. Indicate and verbalize shots or spot and color putting it in for my partner.
5. Go to reporting area and stop
6. Signal the basket good and verbalize it (if this is the case)
7. Verbalize color and number (whole number – using one hand)
8. Signal preliminary – I don’t verbalized it.
9. Indicate and verbalize shots or spot and color putting it in.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

I could go for some Chicago deep dish.

I should also add that on a bang-bang block/charge, we've been instructed to go with:

1) Fist/whistle.

2) Signal and verbalize foul.

3) Report

For example, Tweet. "BLOCK!" or "OFFENSE!"

Last edited by Welpe; Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 01:19pm.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking both hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Whole number. We were explicitly instructed NOT to say each digit separately.
I was watching a GJV game about a week ago, 3 man crew. I thought they actually called a good game but their signals were very odd. One one play an official blew the whistle, up went the fist. When he reported the foul, he used two hands, ten second violation signal. I thought I had missed something...there was no 10 second violation. It was a foul but I couldn't hear what he said to the table. I looked for a #55...was none. About a minute later, 'tweet', fist goes up, and we get the ten second violation signal again, but this time I could hear what he was saying. Foul on #10. Now I understand. I'm just glad it wasn't on #12 - he'd have to take off a shoe to report.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
5) If shooting, indicate number of the shooter. "Red 15 is shooter."
I have been nervous to implement this step, as I am afraid of reporting the foul on "Red 15." Of course, not doing this have lost the shooter before, although its usually something I pre-game (to help each other out on shooter)

Is it worse to loose the shooter or the player who fouled?...

I would rather loose the shooter, 99% of the time they step to the line.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrules View Post
I was watching a GJV game about a week ago, 3 man crew. I thought they actually called a good game but their signals were very odd. One one play an official blew the whistle, up went the fist. When he reported the foul, he used two hands, ten second violation signal. I thought I had missed something...there was no 10 second violation. It was a foul but I couldn't hear what he said to the table. I looked for a #55...was none. About a minute later, 'tweet', fist goes up, and we get the ten second violation signal again, but this time I could hear what he was saying. Foul on #10. Now I understand. I'm just glad it wasn't on #12 - he'd have to take off a shoe to report.
Are you sure he wasn’t just indicating a push?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef View Post
I have been nervous to implement this step, as I am afraid of reporting the foul on "Red 15." Of course, not doing this have lost the shooter before, although its usually something I pre-game (to help each other out on shooter)

Verbalizing the fouler lets the players and your co-officials know who the foul was called on. It kind of sucks when the calling official doesn't say anything, and as the players line up they ask you "Who was it on?" and your partner is 47 feet away at the division line, reporting.

True, but in our area (Houston) they want all the game officials to know who the shooter is. (I guess some coaches have.. umm "unintentionally" ...sent the wrong shooter to the line after a timeout, for example.)
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
Are you sure he wasn’t just indicating a push?
Positive. As he was holding up his 10 fingers he said "White #10" then gave a signal for a illegal use of hands and verbalized it. I think he called it hacking.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 07:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Were Talking About Fingers, Right ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Which one?
The middle digit.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef View Post

It's embarrassing to lose either one. As a 2nd yr. newbie I've done both. This year I've been working hard not to have that happen (I'm a lot better...but not perfect). There was a thread last week about "tricks" to remember the numbers of the player who committed the foul, AND, the shooter if there is one...great thread BTW. As stated earlier, "all mechanics are local." In my neck of the woods the "absolutes" (what the evaluators are looking for) after you've called the foul are:
1) Hold your spot, (prelim signal optional/use to sell if necc.), eye contact with partner, let him know (a) if there will be shots, how many, &# of shooter (b) if no shots, team color and throw-in spot.

2) Move to reporting area, color, player# (whole # one hand), NFHS approved signal, # of shots, OR color of team & location of throw-in.

3) Switch on every foul (long switches can be pre-gamed).

I try to get the # of the player who committed the foul and the # of the shooter (if there is one) and I keep silently repeating them so I don't lose them....or can recall them if something sends me into brain lock....stuff happening between the players, coach piping up about the call, injured player, etc. AND I try to be slow and take my time (still not there yet).