The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Had a blowout of about 20 points (B team ahead), 5 seconds left in the game.

A1 dribbling the ball up the floor quickly to try to get one last shot. B1 and B2 both aggresively double team A1 right before the halfcourt line. B1 very OBVIOUSLY pushes A1 in the back (not intentional, just momentum) causing A1 to go to the floor and lose the ball. TWEET! I call a foul, 3 seconds left on the clock. Unbeknownst to me it was 1 and 1 now.

I try not to keep track of the fouls till it gets to 1 and 1. I don't even like to look at the book and see "is there equal distribution of fouls" like many do. Anyway, back on point.

Obviously the call was correct, however, am I right to blow the whistle? I'd like tot hink I call a consistent game buzzer to buzzer, but is that me taking things too literal?

Ironically, the guy missed the free throw and no points scored. The only thing that irked me in the situation was that my rookie partner working our 2nd (and last) game of the night (the same guy who had earlier tried to tell me a defender cannot be moving his feet to take a player control foul... haha) loudly questioned why I called a foul in the situation and then proceeded to banter along with the players whom the foul was called on.

But anyway, would you blow the whistle there?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Call the foul. The player fouled the ball handler, not you. If it was obvious, put air in the whistle.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
As you describe it, I'd call it no matter how much time is on the clock or what the score is.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

post game conference time

Yes, I think you made the right call. There is a difference between a light touch on the arm and a push which causes a player to end up on the floor. Keep in mind that a lot of the fights and aggressive play begin when one team is blowing out another and there ends up being a hard foul somewhere that causes a player to retaliate. Always make sure that there is no reason for someone to foul another any harder than is neccessary.

Enough of that. As for your rookie partner, I would most definitely pull him aside after this game and have a heart to heart with him/her. I would explain that if they would like to continue officiating that it would probably be in their best interest not to make a spectacle of ther partners and talk loudly and with the players regarding calls that they may not agree with. If he is the one disagreeing I would also suggest that he reads the rule book before making any more comments if he doesn't know how to take a charge.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I would call the foul. If the game is "over", then why is the team that is so far ahead still "aggressively double teaming"? If they didn't want you to continue to call the game, they shouldn't have continued to contest the opponent!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I would call THAT foul but I've passed on blatant fouls with seconds left to go in a blowout. Coaches don't like it, but extending the game only gives the teams more opportunity to hurt each other. That's my take, I'm sure many of you disagree.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM
As you describe it, I'd call it no matter how much time is on the clock or what the score is.
He's not lying!! I saw this last night... but it was a great call!!! Anyways, as I said on the other thread (I believe it got doubled some how), I'm probably going to pass on this and I know the coach isn't going to like it, but I'm not there to please them. I see both sides of it, however just let the clock run out. If you call a foul and after the shots the fouling team (Team B) gets the rebound and does a quick outlet and a player from Team A bumps Team B on a halfcourt 3-pointer, are you going to call that? But like I said...I see both sides of it.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

No one likes to blow their whistle at that point in the game, but sometimes you have to for safety reasons. I'm usually much more "patient" with my whislte late in blow outs. See if the contact really affects the play,or how severe it ends up looking. As far as your rookie partner, I'm not sure what to say. You would think as the new guy he'd keep his mouth shut and learn. It sounds like he is going to have a hard time learning from veterans if he acts like that.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on what type of league this is. If this was just a youth league and the foul was committed by the team down 20 points, I would just let it go.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:35pm
In Memoriam

If someone is getting knocked to the floor on an obvious foul, you'd better damn well call it--no matter when it occurs in a game. First minute or last minute.

Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

1) Ref the game to the end. From the description of that foul, it needs to be made no matter how much time is left. To let that one go is asking for trouble due to frustration.

2) You should know when a team gets to 6 team fouls if for no other reason than to keep the game flowing nicely. The game will move on better if you signal one-and-one on the 7th foul and your partner(s) can get the teams ready for free throws. If you signal the foul and point to the throw-in spot (because you aren't aware that you're in bonus), it doesn't look for good (IMHO) to then have to adjust after the scorer's table tells you that it's bonus time.

3) I'd educate that rookie after the game about why that foul needed to be called and also about the importance of being a supportive partner.

Z
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

One thing that always seems to get mentioned in a pre-game:

bodies on the floor = gotta have a call

You did the right thing. I'd give the rookie a reminder of his right to remain silent.

What the hell was Team B doing, anyway - playing aggressive enough to knock someone down - with a 20 pt lead?