View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiRef View Post
I have been nervous to implement this step, as I am afraid of reporting the foul on "Red 15." Of course, not doing this have lost the shooter before, although its usually something I pre-game (to help each other out on shooter)

Is it worse to loose the shooter or the player who fouled?...

I would rather loose the shooter, 99% of the time they step to the line.
It's embarrassing to lose either one. As a 2nd yr. newbie I've done both. This year I've been working hard not to have that happen (I'm a lot better...but not perfect). There was a thread last week about "tricks" to remember the numbers of the player who committed the foul, AND, the shooter if there is one...great thread BTW. As stated earlier, "all mechanics are local." In my neck of the woods the "absolutes" (what the evaluators are looking for) after you've called the foul are:
1) Hold your spot, (prelim signal optional/use to sell if necc.), eye contact with partner, let him know (a) if there will be shots, how many, &# of shooter (b) if no shots, team color and throw-in spot.

2) Move to reporting area, color, player# (whole # one hand), NFHS approved signal, # of shots, OR color of team & location of throw-in.

3) Switch on every foul (long switches can be pre-gamed).

I try to get the # of the player who committed the foul and the # of the shooter (if there is one) and I keep silently repeating them so I don't lose them....or can recall them if something sends me into brain lock....stuff happening between the players, coach piping up about the call, injured player, etc. AND I try to be slow and take my time (still not there yet).