The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Foul after calling TO

What would you do in the following scenario:

Team B is trailing and pressuring full court. A1 struggles to inbound ball from the endline after a made basket. Coach A rises to call TO but pass is in air - toward division line. As A2 catches pass, yep, Coach A still wants TO. Whistle blows to grant it, but just after whistle, a legitimately hustling B2 crashes into A2 (too late for the steal, obviously).

What's the call? It's dead ball contact but not necessarily intentional or flagrant (as in 10-3-7). Most times I'd say I've got nothing/incidental, but if you have A2 flattened or otherwise plowed into ... ?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:49am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

Team B is trailing and pressuring full court. A1 struggles to inbound ball from the endline after a made basket. Coach A rises to call TO but pass is in air - toward division line. As A2 catches pass, yep, Coach A still wants TO. Whistle blows to grant it, but just after whistle, a legitimately hustling B2 crashes into A2 (too late for the steal, obviously).

What's the call? It's dead ball contact but not necessarily intentional or flagrant (as in 10-3-7). Most times I'd say I've got nothing/incidental, but if you have A2 flattened or otherwise plowed into ... ?
Sounds like a T to me, because it's a dead ball foul.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You're correct that the ball is dead. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (or by or on an airborne shooter).

So, why the question? Just enforce the rule.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're correct that the ball is dead. Dead ball contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (or by or on an airborne shooter).

So, why the question? Just enforce the rule.
Not having been there yet, guess I's just trying to feel out the sentiment for seeing Little Angus - splat - on the floor and probably no reason to call the T, despite outward appearances (and significant physical contact).
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think you've answered your own question. The contact, and the resulting bodies on the floor may not look pretty, but from the way you describe it, it's a no-call.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Is this one of those times where the coach is just venting and all he really wants is for you to listen and nod your head because he answers his own question eventually? *nodding my head* uh huh

-Josh
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not having been there yet, guess I's just trying to feel out the sentiment for seeing Little Angus - splat - on the floor and probably no reason to call the T, despite outward appearances (and significant physical contact).
Yes, the contact would be ignored if it does not qualify as intentional or flagrant, but please note that excessive contact even while going for the ball meets the definition of an intentional foul.

4-19-3
... A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, the contact would be ignored if it does not qualify as intentional or flagrant, but please note that excessive contact even while going for the ball meets the definition of an intentional foul.

4-19-3
... A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player
causes excessive contact with an opponent.
Absolutely true.

However, bringing that back to the OP, you have to ask yourself if you would have called that foul intentional if there wasn't the TO/dead ball thing to consider. If not, then we have nothing. Except a timeout. And a stretcher for little Angus.