The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I understand where you're going and appreciate the clarification. Would the fact that, in my post, I've already blown the ball dead before there is contact with the ball not have an impact on whether or not I call a T? In other words:
  1. A1 has the ball to throw in (live ball)
  2. B1 reached through the throw in plane (live ball)
  3. I blow the whistle for the DOG (dead ball)
  4. B1 contacts the ball while A1 still is holding it (dead ball)

The example you provided almost fits mine above, but rather than saying knock it off I'd blow it dead and issue a DOG. If I didn't blow it dead due to the violation then yes, I agree you have to call the T there.

Not trying to argue, just trying to get this right. Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
OK - let's get ultra-technical (no pun intended). It's still a DOG warning, except the second one results in a technical. Remember, if a defender reaches across and touches the ball before release, it's both a DOG warning and a technical. The reason this is the case is because if on the first time there's a technical for touching, it also counts as the first DOG warning so if there's just a subsequent reach across without touching, you get your second DOG warning and a T.

I hope that was clear. I just mean that the reaching that results in a technical for touching also counts as a DOG warning.
Very good...makes sense.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

To quote Gilda Radner

Never mind. Sorry Snaqs, Mark explained it in a way that finally sunk in.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2010, 06:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I understand where you're going and appreciate the clarification. Would the fact that, in my post, I've already blown the ball dead before there is contact with the ball not have an impact on whether or not I call a T? In other words:

The example you provided almost fits mine above, but rather than saying knock it off I'd blow it dead and issue a DOG. If I didn't blow it dead due to the violation then yes, I agree you have to call the T there.

Right on all counts.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

If it's all the same action ("reach-through-and-touch-the-held-ball-all-in-one-motion") then it's a T, no matter how quick your whistle.

If it's separate acts ("reach through and then make another stab at and touch the ball") then it's a DOG violation (the first time), no matter how slow the whistle.