The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Red face kicked it once or twice?

Had a game tonight (BJV) that I know we kicked a call but was wondering if we kicked it twice or just once. Don't have my books with me right now.

Team A requests a time out and is granted. Ball should have been inbounded from where the ball was when time was granted - oops, kick #1. Ball is now live at disposal of Team A at the wrong spot. Should we have stopped the play prior to the throwin being released and put the ball in play at the correct spot or is this just one of those errors that's not correctable since the ball has become live? I'm leaning toward the second option - which, if I'm right, means we only kicked it once. Hopefully I'm right. :/
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I believe this is "fixable" up until the throw-in ends, or the same time frame as giving the ball to the wrong team for a throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:35pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
Had a game tonight (BJV) that I know we kicked a call but was wondering if we kicked it twice or just once. Don't have my books with me right now.

Team A requests a time out and is granted. Ball should have been inbounded from where the ball was when time was granted - oops, kick #1. Ball is now live at disposal of Team A at the wrong spot. Should we have stopped the play prior to the throwin being released and put the ball in play at the correct spot or is this just one of those errors that's not correctable since the ball has become live? I'm leaning toward the second option - which, if I'm right, means we only kicked it once. Hopefully I'm right. :/
You have been involved in a correctable situation where, prior to the throw-in you could have stopped the action with a whistle and fixed the throw-in location.

Please do not blithely misuse the explicit term for THE correctable errors that almost always involve free throws. It only highlights your lack of rules knowledge.

See Rule 2 Section 10 Page 17 of your 2009-2010 Rules book from NFHS
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,

While it appears that justacoach is on a quest to insult every person who does not understand the rules, and needs to knock it off as this is THE best place to come ask questions to which one does not have answers...

... his point has some merit. This would not be one of the dreaded "correctable error" situations. It's more of a "fixable foul-up" or "salvagable screw-up". Or maybe even a "rectifiable blunder". But definitely not a "correctable error".

But since you didn't call it a "correctable error", I'm guessing you already knew that.