The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA officiating video

In the NCAA video, there is a play at 1:20 that is described as legal. To me it is travelling. The right is foot is the pivot foot, it is lifted and put back down again before the shot. What am I missing?

YouTube - 2009 NCAA Mens Officiating Part 4/4
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
In the NCAA video, there is a play at 1:20 that is described as legal. To me it is travelling. The right is foot is the pivot foot, it is lifted and put back down again before the shot. What am I missing?

I'm curious why the right foot is the pivot. If defined as NFHS defines it, the pivot would be the left foot in that play: it's the foot on the floor when the dribble ends.

So I agree with your ruling, but not your reasoning. If you think the right foot is the pivot, then the play is indeed legal.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you are talking about the play from the Xavier/Wisconsin game with the drive by #11 of Xavier, then you are correct that it is a traveling violation, however, the LEFT foot is the pivot foot. It is the one which is clearly on the floor when the dribble is ended. It is close, but it seems to me that the player's right foot is barely off the floor by the time that he catches the ball to end his dribble. Still the left foot is lifted and replaced on the floor prior to the try.

The commentary on the video is not correct as it states that the right foot is the pivot foot when he jumps to it and lands on that foot, but he clearly has his left foot touching the floor while holding the ball after the dribble.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

My fault, I meant left foot.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My fault, I meant left foot.
Ok, I'm with you now. It is still a travel, and was correctly called as such by the official on the court during the game. Unfortunate that the training video is wrong.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Is this a preseason video? If so, that particular play was subsequently acknowledged by the NCAA to be correctly called as a travel.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is this a preseason video? If so, that particular play was subsequently acknowledged by the NCAA to be correctly called as a travel.
Yes, this is part of the preseason video which was shown at all NCAA clinics prior to the start of the 2009-10 season.

Good to hear that the NCAA has acknowledged the error.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

To me it looked like both feet were on the floor when his dribble ended....and that he subsequently lifted and replaced both feet on the floor before his shot...he travelled with both feet.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me it looked like both feet were on the floor when his dribble ended....and that he subsequently lifted and replaced both feet on the floor before his shot...he travelled with both feet.
Possibly, but in real-time it would be very difficult to tell if his right foot was still on the floor when the dribble ended. I'm not splitting hairs on this. The left foot is quite clear.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Possibly, but in real-time it would be very difficult to tell if his right foot was still on the floor when the dribble ended. I'm not splitting hairs on this. The left foot is quite clear.
Oh, no doubt the left foot was his pivot foot. It's just that he lifted and replaced his right foot and then lifted and replaced his left foot before releasing the ball. So regardless of which one was his pivot foot he travelled.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, no doubt the left foot was his pivot foot. It's just that he lifted and replaced his right foot and then lifted and replaced his left foot before releasing the ball. So regardless of which one was his pivot foot he travelled.
I don't agree with that assessment.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, I think the "simple question" at the 1:02 mark that they never respond with a simple answer attempts to lead incorrectly also. Williams from Tennessee obviously moves his right foot after the catch, and then his left foot scoots closer to the FT circle well before his release of the pass. I think the guy makes a great call.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank heavens! I immediately went to video and watched it a dozen times and was about to hang up my whistle if that wasn't a travel, I was really questioning myself. Having now read subsequent posts, I feel much better.....
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
For what it's worth, I think the "simple question" at the 1:02 mark that they never respond with a simple answer attempts to lead incorrectly also. Williams from Tennessee obviously moves his right foot after the catch, and then his left foot scoots closer to the FT circle well before his release of the pass. I think the guy makes a great call.
I agree that this play, too, was a travel.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't agree with that assessment.
Guess it depends on when you judge that he gathers his dribble.