The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see or listen to Illinois v. Wisconsin on Saturday? In the game, Lon Kruger requested the officials (Hightower, Zetcher, J.D. Collins) review the videotape on whether or not a Wisconsin player was on the 3-point line when they counted a successful three. The officials granted Kruger's request and did in fact review the tape and the call stood as a successful 3-pointer, charging Illinois with a time out as if it were a 'correctable error' situation.

Is this in fact an error (or alleged error) that can be reviewed? I found no rule book coverage on this. It is not a 2:10 correctable error and it is not a timing or fighting situation---timing and fighting do have rule book coverage for video review.

Comments?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2000, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Another example of officials at the highest level (I do not count NBA as officiating since it is just robotics) going too far!

Obviously you have an NCAA Rulebook. Watch your local paper for the Big Ten to come down and issue a statement, maybe a suspension, since they overstepped their boundaries.

Then again, this is Mr. Hightower, friend of Mr. Good Knight, so..........
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 01-10-2000 01:13 PM
Another example of officials at the highest level (I do not count NBA as officiating since it is just robotics) going too far!

Obviously you have an NCAA Rulebook. Watch your local paper for the Big Ten to come down and issue a statement, maybe a suspension, since they overstepped their boundaries.

Then again, this is Mr. Hightower, friend of Mr. Good Knight, so..........

Well...even thought I am not a big Mr. Hightower fan....What they did is ok. It is new this year to college basketball. If it matches all of the criteria for a correctible error, than this is ok. It is not in the rule book this year, but was covered at the college meeting. So you will not see any flack from this.