The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Rochambeau or roshambo? I'm just asking for a friend.
I believe either is acceptable.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:15pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
In the second, would you consider a flagrant T?
Good question. Can there be a flagrant T involving contact during a live ball?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Good question. Can there be a flagrant T involving contact during a live ball?
Hmm. Not for contact. So, flagrant personal?

This is basically intentionally stepping on an opponent. I think I'd go w/ flagrant here.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:48pm
M.A.S.H.

Agree - flagrant personal.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:49pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Hmm. Not for contact. So, flagrant personal?

This is basically intentionally stepping on an opponent. I think I'd go w/ flagrant here.
I think if you are going to go flagrant, flagrant personal.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think if you are going to go flagrant, flagrant personal.
Yep. We would actually be penalizing the act of stepping on an opponent (flagrant personal) rather than the act of jumping off someone (technical).
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

JMHO,

If I were going with a flagrant on this, it would be a flagrant T. I'm not penalizing the contact per se, which was not "of a violent or savage nature." I'm penalizing the player's unsporting behavior.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
JMHO,

If I were going with a flagrant on this, it would be a flagrant T. I'm not penalizing the contact per se, which was not "of a violent or savage nature." I'm penalizing the player's unsporting behavior.
I can see that. Do you think flagrant (one way or the other) is the right call here?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JMHO,

BITS,

I can see your point, but IMHO jumping off of someone's back could be extremely dangerous - all kinds of potential for serious injury (think spine and kidneys). Think I'd go with the flagrant personal.....
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can see that. Do you think flagrant (one way or the other) is the right call here?
It depends on the game context. As an isolated incident, I don't think this rises to the level of throwing a punch or driving an opponent into the wall. But, it's clearly a non-basketball play with serious potential to tank my game. In my mind the question will not be "should I toss him?" it will be "is there any good reason to keep him?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
BITS,

I can see your point, but IMHO jumping off of someone's back could be extremely dangerous - all kinds of potential for serious injury (think spine and kidneys). Think I'd go with the flagrant personal.....
I agree with the potential for injury. However, a flagrant personal is defined by the nature of the act, not the severity of the result, by the intent to injure not just potential to injure. In my opinion the act is not "of a violent or savage nature" nor would I characterize it as "violent contact such as: striking, kicking and kneeing."

However, debating exactly why to toss him is little more than an interesting academic exercise. The only real difference is who shoots and where the ball gets put back in play.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

I have actually called this. 1A (I think) All star game at the end of the season three or four years ago. A1 went off of A2's bak on all 4's.... Easy T
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, debating exactly why to toss him is little more than an interesting academic exercise. The only real difference is who shoots and where the ball gets put back in play.
Yep
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, debating exactly why to toss him is little more than an interesting academic exercise.
If we didn't engage in academic exercises, this forum would be a pretty boring place!
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we didn't engage in academic exercises, this forum would be a pretty boring place!
Yep. And I did say the "academic exercise" was interesting. It's a train of thought I'd never considered.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess we are still on unsporting acts while straying.

What if: A1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off A1's back and dunks.

What if: B1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off B1's back and dunks.
Play 1, I agree T on A2. A1 didn't do anything to penalize.

Play 2, is either intentional personal or flagrant personal. I'll side with flagrant because I can't imagine keeping somebody around who steps on an opponent intentionally.

It can't be a T (if the ball is live), because the T is for teammates climbing on or lifting. A2 and B1 are not teammates.