The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:35pm
Huck Finn

Unsporting Acts

Is it me or are there several threads that boil down to unsporting acts. I'm not big on absolutes, but I absolutely hate unsporting acts, from coaches and players, in high school basketball. I know we have a problem with it here in Vegas.

Can someone post the rule and penalty for unsporting acts (I don't have a rulebook at work)?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:36pm
M.A.S.H.

10-3-6
Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
a. Disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment.
b. Use profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.
c. Baiting or taunting an opponent
Note: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarras, ridicule or demean other under any circumstances including on the basis or race, religiion, gender or national origin.
d. Purposely obstructin an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his/her eyes
Note: Purposely diverting an opponent's attention by waving is different than holding or waving the hands near the opponent's eyes for the express purpose of obstructing the vision so that he/she cannot see.
e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the play was not entitled.
g. Use tobacco or smokeless tobacco,
h. Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 12:42pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:37pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
10-3-6

And it says?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Since tom made me post it, , I'd like to discuss (e).

If a player did the old heave-ho, where the player cups their hands and inter-locks their fingers and then another player runs and pushes off while the other player is lifting up into the air .... do you have two technicals (one for climbing, one for lifting) or are you just charging one?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

And it says?
Sorry, tom... as I was typing the submit button must of been highlighted and when I hard returned it submitted... no worries... I was typing and wasn't producing anything for a couple seconds.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 12:49pm.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:52pm
Huck Finn

I would say one T.

I guess Nevada is either on holiday break/vacation or his computer is broke.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess Nevada is either on holiday break/vacation or his computer is broke.
Way too much fun stuff on here for him to be absent this morning...
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:02pm
M.A.S.H.

I don't have a problem with one technical... I would certainly talk to both players.

Buuuut, if you only call one... who would you call it on? To make it easier, lets say A1 is being lifted/climbing and A5 is the lifter.

I agree, jdw.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:03pm
Huck Finn

I would call it on the lifter.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would call it on the lifter.
Interesting. I'd probably call it on the jumper-offer (I intentionally chose this term).

I'd call it on the jumper-offer if he climbed up a teammate without that teammate's permission, so I'm just going to keep it consistent here.

Or, I'll make them rochambeau for it.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:05pm
Huck Finn

I guess we are still on unsporting acts while straying.

What if: A1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off A1's back and dunks.

What if: B1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off B1's back and dunks.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:06pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I'd call it on the jumper-offer if he climbed up a teammate without that teammate's permission, so I'm just going to keep it consistent here.

Great minds. I was typing my "scenario" while you posted this response.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Wink

Quote:
Is it me or are there several threads that boil down to unsporting acts. I'm not big on absolutes, but I absolutely hate unsporting acts, from coaches and players, in high school basketball. I know we have a problem with it here in Vegas.

Can someone post the rule and penalty for unsporting acts (I don't have a rulebook at work)?
10-3- (a player shall not )
ART. 6 . . . Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts
or conduct such as:
a. Disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a
manner as to indicate resentment.
b. Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.
c. Baiting or taunting an opponent.
Rule 10-4 2009-10 NFHS Basketball Rules Page 60
NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed
to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances including on the
basis of race, religion, gender or national origin.
d. Purposely obstructing an opponent’s vision by waving or placing hand(s)
near his/her eyes.
NOTE: Purposely diverting an opponent’s attention by waving is different than
holding or waving the hands near the opponent’s eyes for the express purpose of
obstructing the vision so that he/she cannot see.
e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul
to which the player was not entitled.
g. Use tobacco or smokeless tobacco.
h. Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What if: A1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off A1's back and dunks.

What if: B1 legitimately falls to the floor and is on all fours. A2 drives to the basket, jumps off B1's back and dunks.
As I stated, I'd call it on A2 in the first.

In the second, would you consider a flagrant T?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:13pm
Huck Finn

I have very little tolerance of unsporting acts in a high school basketball game. Every state doesn't hold a meeting with the coaches prior to the game; Mississippi requires it. Although we aren't required to do it here in Vegas, I make it a part of what we do when I'm the R. I use it as communication to let the coaches know that they can talk to us (not at us) during the game when we get in front of them during a natural rotation - we are not going to make a special trip just to talk to them. I also talk to the coaches about sportsmanship and how his or her players will likely follow their lead. This helps a little and I'm willing to accept baby steps when it comes to sportsmanship.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 01:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Interesting. I'd probably call it on the jumper-offer (I intentionally chose this term).

Rochambeau or roshambo? I'm just asking for a friend.

Quote:

1) Technical on A2.
2) Technical on A2.

Edit: A little late to the party, Upward ref. But, thanks for posting... welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 23, 2009 at 01:16pm.