The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Lodged FT

A FT shot that gets lodged between the backboard and the ring....

If it is the first of multiple FT's, I believe it is considered a missed shot, and the remaining FT's are administered. However, what happens if it is lodged on last shot? I thought this was a violation, where team B would get to inbound the ball at the POI. But I cannot find it anywhere in the rule or case book.

The only reference I find is rule 6.4.3d: "A live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows".

I cannot find the protocol anywhere. Any help?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
A FT shot that gets lodged between the backboard and the ring....

If it is the first of multiple FT's, I believe it is considered a missed shot, and the remaining FT's are administered. However, what happens if it is lodged on last shot? I thought this was a violation, where team B would get to inbound the ball at the POI. But I cannot find it anywhere in the rule or case book.

The only reference I find is rule 6.4.3d: "A live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows".

I cannot find the protocol anywhere. Any help?
You have answered you own question.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

If a live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange during a throw-in or a freethrow, it is a violation.

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
If a live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange during a throw-in or a freethrow, it is a violation.

-Josh
Any reference to that in the rulebook? I know 9.2.8 specifically talks about a thrown ball on a throw-in. But it doesn't say anything about a FT. Specifically the last FT....
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez View Post
Any reference to that in the rulebook? I know 9.2.8 specifically talks about a thrown ball on a throw-in. But it doesn't say anything about a FT. Specifically the last FT....
It is not a violation. If it happens on a free throw or shot it is an alternating possession situation as you cited above.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You have answered you own question.
6.4.3d says "unless a free throw or throw-in FOLLOWS." The OP situation is following a free-throw, not being followed by a free throw.

When the free-throw is at the disposal of the shooter, that ball is live (6.1.2b) just as it would be any other shot attempt. While it doesn't say in black-and-white, I would think this is an AP arrow situation.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
While it doesn't say in black-and-white
Actually, it does say in black-and-white.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Actually, it does say in black-and-white.
well, the OP has been requesting it and no one has been saying what reference it is in the book. I didn't see anything in the book saying anything about a lodged ball after a free-throw. Just the fact that a lodged ball after a shot goes to AP.

EDIT: I'll rephrase that to "not clear in black-and-white".
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
well, the OP has been requesting it and no one has been saying what reference it is in the book. I didn't see anything in the book saying anything about a lodged ball after a free-throw. Just the fact that a lodged ball after a shot goes to AP.

EDIT: I'll rephrase that to "not clear in black-and-white".
The rule has already been referenced. It's about knowing what has happened and what the rules say.

6-4-3...Alternating-possession throw-ins shall be from the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located. An alternating-possession throw-in shall result when:

d. A live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows.

You don't need anything else. What we have is a free throw (the ball is live) coming to rest between the ring and backboard. If this is the last free throw, then no throw-in is to follow.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
The rule has already been referenced. It's about knowing what has happened and what the rules say.

6-4-3...Alternating-possession throw-ins shall be from the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where the ball was located. An alternating-possession throw-in shall result when:

d. A live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows.

You don't need anything else. What we have is a free throw (the ball is live) coming to rest between the ring and backboard. If this is the last free throw, then no throw-in is to follow.
THANKS! I think that makes it very clear.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:28pm
We don't rent pigs

Never noticed this before. Is this not a contradiction?

6-4-3d: An alternating possession throw-in shall result when a live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows.

9-2-8: The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.

violation.....ball awarded to opponent.......etc. etc.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Seems this is a specific throw-in violation. It does seem to contradict the wording in 6-4-3 which would seem to indicate all live balls that come to rest/get stuck go to A/P.

I can see making this exception, however, as in this case the ball is not passed directly onto the court where it can touch or be touched by a player. Throw-in violation.

Good find. 6-4-3 should probably note the additional exception in 9-2-8.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:21pm
M.A.S.H.

Probably should be noted in 6-4-3d that there's an exception. I agree 6-4-3 makes it sounds like all live balls that get stuck/come to rest go AP.

The only other thing I would add is 9-2-8 says before it touches or is touched by another player (i.e. before the throw-in has ended). Maybe the Fed's thinking is this is good enough and no exception is needed.

Interesting, good find!
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Never noticed this before. Is this not a contradiction?

6-4-3d: An alternating possession throw-in shall result when a live ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange, unless a free throw or throw-in follows.

9-2-8: The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.

violation.....ball awarded to opponent.......etc. etc.
No, it's not a contradiction. 6-4-3 "unless a throw-in follows." 9-2-8 indicates that a throw-in follows.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 03:27pm
M.A.S.H.

bob,

I take that to mean if it gets lodged and a throw-in follows then you proceed to the throw-in... i.e. the second technical foul free throw gets lodged/comes to rest then you go to the throw-in at the division line, not the AP.