The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it just makes you chuckle . . .

This happened to my friend tonight in a GV game . . . no I swear it was my friend and not me.

In the first 2 minutes of the game, I, I mean my friend, was the C. The game was moving along fine and he was minding his own business. Then the ball came in his primary. He was at the FT line extended, where he belongs, when pressure came.

A couple of girls gave pressure on the ball, so he moved up to get a good angle. I've always told him, "it's about angles. Get an angle so you aren't stacked and can see the play." He rolls toward the division line about 8 feet from the action when the player split the defenders. She then rocketed a pass right at his stomach. He caught it! As a matter of fact, he caught it nicely and showed good athleticism catching such a rocket.

Anyway, at this point he didn't know what to do. The gym was quiet and not only were the 10 players on the floor looking at me, I mean him, the whole gym was looking.

My question; What would you have done at this point?

Trust me, me and my partners had a good laugh at this one.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
This happened to my friend tonight in a GV game . . . no I swear it was my friend and not me.

In the first 2 minutes of the game, I, I mean my friend, was the C. The game was moving along fine and he was minding his own business. Then the ball came in his primary. He was at the FT line extended, where he belongs, when pressure came.

A couple of girls gave pressure on the ball, so he moved up to get a good angle. I've always told him, "it's about angles. Get an angle so you aren't stacked and can see the play." He rolls toward the division line about 8 feet from the action when the player split the defenders. She then rocketed a pass right at his stomach. He caught it! As a matter of fact, he caught it nicely and showed good athleticism catching such a rocket.

Anyway, at this point he didn't know what to do. The gym was quiet and not only were the 10 players on the floor looking at me, I mean him, the whole gym was looking.

Clearly, I would have launched a 3-Ball.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Clearly, I would have launched a 3-Ball.
Had I done that, and made it, maybe we would have avoided the OT that occured :30 later!

Sorry Mark, it wasn't my fault. My partner caused it.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Couldn't Pass on this One!

Been lurking for a year or so and couldn't pass on this one. My wife's late grandfather used to ref. During one game, in his younger days, there was a quick turnover near the division line. Grandfather was on opposite side of the court from the break-away player. Player hears footsteps, looks up and fires a pass to grandfather who without hesitation continues on and shoots a lay-up. Crowd is stunned...............
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post

I actually had this play happen to me during a camp one summer. I caught the ball and once I realize what I did. I dropped it and the offense actually got it back and play continued.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I actually had this play happen to me during a camp one summer. I caught the ball and once I realize what I did. I dropped it and the offense actually got it back and play continued.
Serious question here...Could we, as part of 2-3 say that the ball was going out of bounds, therefore give possession to the other team? I know officials are part of the floor, and if the ball hits an official it's play on, but we aren't supposed to catch the ball...

What's your opinion?
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

GJV game last week, I was in front of the play on a fast break when the visiting pg through a perfect bounce pass that I had to dodge.

I heard her coach say, "Yeah, the ref was wide open." He was smiling, they were winning easily.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Serious question here...Could we, as part of 2-3 say that the ball was going out of bounds, therefore give possession to the other team? I know officials are part of the floor, and if the ball hits an official it's play on, but we aren't supposed to catch the ball...

What's your opinion?
You can't use 2-3 because this situation is addressed by the rules. If you catch it, drop it where you stand.

You could blow your whistle, go with the IW, and give the ball to the team who had control. In the OP, I might do that if all 10 players are just staring, but dropping the ball and stepping away would most likely get them to start playing again.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You can't use 2-3 because this situation is addressed by the rules. If you catch it, drop it where you stand.

You could blow your whistle, go with the IW, and give the ball to the team who had control. In the OP, I might do that if all 10 players are just staring, but dropping the ball and stepping away would most likely get them to start playing again.
Why do that? What if you were standing just along the end line or the side line and it is obvious the ball was going to go out before anyone could grab it?

I had a ball thrown in my direction last weekend (might have mentioned this already) where I tried to duck. Player standing a few feet away from me (I didn't know he was there at the moment) came running in my direction (I don't think he knew I was there either) and ended up running into me. Hit my head hard with his arm, kneed me in the lower left back (that still hurts a little today when I'm running), and I ended up falling down on my bad knee. Player must have went down too or something because when I looked back the ball just rolled out of bounds with no one chasing it.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 02:31am
#thereferee99

I had a friend who yesterday...

.... while making a graceful traveling violation call, stepped on the basketball which got loose after the travel, rolled his ankle and fell right on his a$$!

One never knows when the ankle gets a good roll, but despite soreness this morning, I felt no ill effects tonight for a double header tonight.

Last edited by referee99; Tue Dec 22, 2009 at 09:49am.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, why stop the clock? I go with your option A: drop it and play on. No biggie.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yeah, why stop the clock? I go with your option A: drop it and play on. No biggie.
Agree with mb on this one. The Rules Book nor the Case Book discusses treating a catch any different than an inadvertent touch. Drop the ball and get ready to officiate the scrum that will likely follow.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Jump ball at the center circle between the T and L.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Why do that? What if you were standing just along the end line or the side line and it is obvious the ball was going to go out before anyone could grab it?
Ugh. You really don't have a good grasp of the rules and yet you continue to doll out advice. The official is no different than the spot on the floor where he is standing. If you are inbounds and the ball hits you or you catch it, just drop it. If you are out of bounds, then, and only then, would the ball be considered out of bounds.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You could blow your whistle, go with the IW, and give the ball to the team who had control. In the OP, I might do that if all 10 players are just staring,
That's what I did. I thought about dropping it and trying to act like it never happened. But in the 1 or 2 seconds that it took me to gather myself, I had 10 girls and a gym full of people at a dead stop.

If it had been boys, I believe they would have played on. Being girls, I think they would have stared at me and wondered why I did that!