The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

10 secound backcourt or not

Team B is moving ball up from backcourt, with 35 seconds on shot clock. Team A traps team B in BC & Team B calls time out. Shot clock shows 24 seconds. Official comes over to table & instructs shot clock to be reset to 27 & team B gets their time out.

This happened during Boys' Varsity tonight. Should Team B of been given the time out after having a 10 second BC against them?

Last edited by chseagle; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 05:00am.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I would imagine the official granted the time out and the clock kept running.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Team B is moving ball up from backcourt, with 35 seconds on shot clock. Team A traps team B in BC & Team B calls time out. Shot clock shows 24 seconds. Official comes over to table & instructs shot clock to be reset to 27 & team B gets their time out.

This happened during Boys' Varsity tonight. Should Team B of been given the time out after having a 10 second BC against them?
Let me guess, the VISITING TEAM is Team B. Correct? Since our State does not have a shot clock, I don't know all of the rules concerning it at the NFHS level, BUT, my guess is that the Shot Clock Timer may have started the clock too early. Since the trail has the 10-second count in the backcourt, he had only gotten to eight when the time out was GRANTED.

Once again, not sure if this would be the correct procedure since we do not have a shot clock. Just trying to logically deduce how the events you describe could have happened.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should Team B of
No.

That said, I'm confused by the question. I don't see that Team B committed a 10-second BC violation.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

... or it was actually 11 seconds in the BC and the officiall whiffed and gave the time out.

At that point, the official then glanced to the shot clock and noticed he/she had forgot to count, started late or messed up and then to make it look like he was on top of it, put the time back on the clock.

Just a thought.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For several years I was the scoreboard operator at my school prior to graduating. This has happened in one of the games last season. Visiting team taking ball down court, get's trapped and calls timeout. 24 seconds on the shot clock. the R comes over to me and says to put 26 back on the scoreclock.

While the rule does say "10 seconds", every one of us are not in sync with the clock to have a perfect 10 seconds. I even know some officials in my chapter who counts too fast and it would only be 8-9 seconds off the clock when they extended their hand the 10th time. Some guys count too slow that it would be 12-13 seconds... So it is possible maybe the trail only got to 7 or 8 before the time out was called.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
For several years I was the scoreboard operator at my school prior to graduating. This has happened in one of the games last season. Visiting team taking ball down court, get's trapped and calls timeout. 24 seconds on the shot clock. the R comes over to me and says to put 26 back on the scoreclock.

While the rule does say "10 seconds", every one of us are not in sync with the clock to have a perfect 10 seconds. I even know some officials in my chapter who counts too fast and it would only be 8-9 seconds off the clock when they extended their hand the 10th time. Some guys count too slow that it would be 12-13 seconds... So it is possible maybe the trail only got to 7 or 8 before the time out was called.
Another possibility. Once again, I don't know the specific rules with a shot clock, but I know there have been situations such as you have indicated without the clock. The trail officials count is the determining factor.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Neither the game clock nor the shot clock matter in this situation, only the count by the official. If the official doesn't reach a count of ten, then there is no violation.

5.10.1 SITUATION B: Team A leads by one point when they inbound the ball in
their backcourt with 12 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A1's throw-in
pass is to A2 who dribbles in the backcourt until the horn sounds. The trail official
does not make a 10-second call because he/she "lost the count." RULING: The
game is over. The clock may not be reset as there are no rule provisions to do
this. If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There
is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in
counting seconds.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Neither the game clock nor the shot clock matter in this situation, only the count by the official. If the official doesn't reach a count of ten, then there is no violation.
All I am saying is many refs will look at the clock and make a change to something to cover up a fast or slow count. Not saying it is right, but I have seen it done. and that very well may have been the case in the OP.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
All I am saying is many refs will look at the clock and make a change to something to cover up a fast or slow count. Not saying it is right, but I have seen it done. and that very well may have been the case in the OP.
Or, the official had an 8 count and determined that based on that, the shot clock must have started early. Perhaps the ball was touched inbounds before team control was established; starting the game clock (properly) and the shot clock (improperly).
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:20am
#thereferee99

Wait a minute...

... is there even the slightest possibility that the shot clock operator reset the clock when the ball either hit the ring or passed through.... and didn't hold the restarting of the clock until the ball is under player control inbounds?

Gee, I haven't had that since EVERY GAME I HAVE HAD THIS SEASON!!.
Chronic problem. I talk to SCOs before the game about when to reset, they nod... I talk about reset and HOLD... they often don't even know what that is... sheesh.

OK, maybe it hasn't been a problem in EVERY game...
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I even know some officials in my chapter who counts too fast and it would only be 8-9 seconds off the clock when they extended their hand the 10th time.
Doubtful. It's almost impossible to an official to count too fast. It's very noticable, as you almost have to separate your shoulder to count too fast.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Team A ahead.
9.2 seconds on the clock.
A1 inbounds after a made B1 FT.

Does anyone here start a 10 second count?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, but only until I know the clock has started properly.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:25pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Team A ahead.
9.2 seconds on the clock.
A1 inbounds after a made B1 FT.

Does anyone here start a 10 second count?
I would. But I'm only counting for the camera, I would certainly know that I couldn't a 10-second violation.

Of course, depending on the margin, I might not have to count very long as Team B might be fouling.