The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
But, assuming that there was not another call made that the video does not show, we know that the horn did indeed sound. And how do we know this?

Raise your hand. Don't shout out the answer, Billy.
The horn is clearly audible in the video, during the second, real time showing (37 sec mark).
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgrund View Post
And I agree with Jallen - I don't so much disagree with the call as I do the positioning of the official. "Referee the key".

Remember: You are watching the call from a better angle than the lead ref. From the lead ref's angle, is that a foul? Can you see the contact from his/her
vantage point? Or are you going by your hypothesis that a guard can't pin a centre?
I actually teach mechanics for my state. What you said here is so false it is not even funny. If you do not like the positioning of the official, hire another official to work the game so you have 3 officials instead of two. Obviously this talent is too good to have only two officials on the play. Secondly, the positioning of the official is the best you can get in this situation. He was where you would want someone to be. The problem is with 2 person crews, is an officials has to cover so much more. This was an obvious foul because the defender swung his arms and got his arms instead of the ball. Whether the ball was pinned or not is not relevant to this play or even in high school rules. Then again you called everyone here ignorant and you do not even know this little fact of the rules.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 02:40pm
#thereferee99

I've never had a game end this way.

Advice please on mechanics of administering free-throw, and what happens if made.
Nod, thumbs up to scorer and go?
Statement such as "ballgame!" and go?

What would be appropriate here?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Incidental. The defender goes straight up, the dribbler does not displace him. There is no advantage/disadvantage.
agreed
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Out Of Dodge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Advice please on mechanics of administering free-throw, and what happens if made. Nod, thumbs up to scorer and go? Statement such as "ballgame!" and go? What would be appropriate here?
Rule 10 PENALTIES: (Summary)
1. No free throws: e. After time has expired for the fourth quarter (or extra period), unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.

Once the first free throw is made, the second free throw is not awarded because it will not affect the outcome of the game. White wins by one point.

Rule 2-2-4: The jurisdiction of the officials' is terminated and the final score has been approved when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.

The closest official to the table should make eye contact with the table crew to be sure that there are no problems, and then "Get out of Dodge". No need to get the basketball, it's not your job. No need to get jackets, they should have been left in the locker room at halftime. No need to sign the scorebook, that should have been done pregame. No need to watch the handshake line, unless you are unfortunate enough to officiate in the the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. And under no circumstances should you come back onto the court once all the officials leave the visual confines of the court. We had a Connecticut official do that several years ago, and it wasn't pretty. Any problems at that point are out of the control of the NFHS, and the officials, and will, if needed, be dealt with, at a later time, by the state association.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 19, 2009 at 03:17pm.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Advice please on mechanics of administering free-throw, and what happens if made.
Nod, thumbs up to scorer and go?
Statement such as "ballgame!" and go?

What would be appropriate here?
Since it's a tie game with no time left (and the horn has sounded), no one is on the lane (I assume, since I didn't watch the video). Everyone (except perhaps the OP), will know the gmae is over. Watch the ball go through the net, make eye contact with your partner to be sure neither of you has a violation, and head for the locker room.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Dumbest Fan Award

Quote:
Bad Zebra - Obviously you're unfamiliar with the term 'pinned' since it's not in the NFHS rule book or case book. Try to think a little outside the box.

BktBallRef: One official may not OVERRULE the other? Tell me then what happens if 1 official calls block and one calls charge and each is 100% adamant about their call and unwilling to change? According to your logic it's a stalemate and the game is stopped right there.

And you are definitely one confused and ignorant official. A jump/held ball is indicated by the 'jump-ball' signal. Are you that ignorant of NFHS terminology? I can already tell you're one of those refs that wants the focus
of any game on himself. See http://www.nfhs.org/Workarea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2867 for more
info on basic terminology. Apparently scorers and timers know more than yoursef.
I was thinking we (officials) should start a Dumbest Fan Post Award. This is positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the DUMBEST post I've ever read! A third grader could have called that foul!! Go away Butt-Boy!
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dumb And Dumber ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
I was thinking we (officials) should start a Dumbest Fan Post Award. This is positively, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the DUMBEST post I've ever read!
You've only been around for two years, and only have 100 posts. There have been much dumber posts. Much, much dumber. Old School was my favorite. JurassicReferee finally scared him away.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wonder sometimes if these people aren't just bored and purposefully stupid. It's like throwing red meat into a dog kennel.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:41pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Waaay ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You've only been around for two years, and only have 100 posts. There have been much dumber posts. Much, much dumber. Old School was my favorite. JurassicReferee finally scared him away.
Which begs the question...Is it worse to knowingly act as a troll or to be oblivious as to one's condition??
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

and where has chseagle been?
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Which begs the question...Is it worse to knowingly act as a troll or to be oblivious as to one's condition??
Good one. Especially after so many hints and outright statements indicating the behavior have been made.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Bored on a Sun morning so I watched that silly video again...

Screen by 55? Probably depends on how the we called it throughout the game but wanted opinions

after breaking it down never seems to fully establish a legal screening position and then kinda slides the right knee out

It wouldn't of been my first illegal screen of the night but could of been my last

Last edited by eyezen; Sun Dec 20, 2009 at 10:38am.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 02:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I figured the call should not have been made for the following reasons:

1) The ref under the net should never be making this call. Doesn't the other ref have a better view of the play?

2) When the score if 57-57 with under 20 seconds to go, unless there's blood or an egregious foul, I'd never blow my whistle!

If anything, in a case like this, if I were the other ref, I would have overruled the ref under the net and either called 'jump ball' (as the ball was pinned) or 'inadvertent whistle'.
It was an easy call to make. Do people really want it to be open season on the last possession after playing the rest of the game a completely different way? I guess if you're on the "wrong" side of the call, you do.

I think the positioning is about as good as it gets for 2 person. Solid call, although he might have sold it a bit more.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It was an easy call to make. Do people really want it to be open season on the last possession after playing the rest of the game a completely different way? I guess if you're on the "wrong" side of the call, you do.

I think the positioning is about as good as it gets for 2 person. Solid call, although he might have sold it a bit more.
Agreed! I saw nothing wrong through out the play.