The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

1) you've gotta pre-game last shot, because if you just rely on the chest or head pat signal, then there's gonna be a quick steal and fast break just after said pat, and neither of you is gonna know who's supposed to watch off ball. (This really happened to me just this evening! Fortunately, the fast break was late enough that the ball never got up on a shot, but still...)

2) Mark, I WAS hurt, you dork!

3) My pet peeve signal?? It was new to me this year, it's the "safe" signal, from baseball, but partner used it to mean "no foul". After the second safe signal that she gave while I was actually blowing the whistle for a foul, I went to her and said, "Please don't do that again!!" She said, "Oh, everyone around here uses the safe signal". Which was news to me, since I've been working "around here" for 11 years, and I've never seen it before, and can't imagine anyone thinking it's a good idea. And she was clueless why it bothered me! Oh, well.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 09:47am
This IS My Social Life

The Worst Signal Yet ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
. . . the "safe" signal . . . .

Was that during a play along the "baseline"
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I'll go with Snaq with the tip signal on a block shot. But other times I think it's good to communicate the tip signal (a ball slightly deflected by the defense that goes into the backcourt).

I used to get worked up about signals that weren't 'by the book' but after awhile I realize we're just communicating. If a coach is yelling for a travel when there is no control I might use a small 'bobble' signal. That said, do I look like a Solid Gold dancer out there, heck no. I would say 95% of my signals are by the book.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Pet peeve:
Indicating with two fingers that the goal is for 2 points (not for 3). If the official does not go up with two arms for a 3 point signal, then it is a 2 (generally speaking). I can see why this may be used for emphasis occasionally, but it is becoming common place on every outside shot with many partners I work with.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Barbra Is Starting To Sing Again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine01c View Post
I can see why this may be used for emphasis occasionally.
That's the only time I use it, usually when the shooter has a foot touching the three point line.

We have a Connecticut only mechanic to point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line. As the trail, when this occurs in my area, if the ball goes in, I follow up with the two fingers and also state, "Two".

Of course, I'm experienced enough to remember when the trail had to indicate one, or two (no three back then) for every point. It was a hard habit to break when we switched to no point signals, except for a made three. Note that I said experienced, not old. I started officiating when I was three years old. Really.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
For 2-man mechanics, it is usually discussed in pregame who will take the last shot. A lot depends on clock locations, if there aren't 2 clocks.

Why? You should be listening for the horn, not watching the clock. It shouldn't matter where the clocks are located (or even if there is no clock at all).
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why? You should be listening for the horn, not watching the clock. It shouldn't matter where the clocks are located (or even if there is no clock at all).
Because the person who is facing the clock is able to see when the clock is getting close to zero. Think about it. If you have a clock only on one end of the gym and you haven't switched in a couple minutes, you may only be getting very quick looks occasionally during transition. Of course we listen for the horn, but if you aren't aware of the time left, you can be surprised by the horn, and that's never good.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
I hate the guy that won't turn off his darn directional signal on the way to the game!!!! Drives me absolutely CRAZY!!
Once the driver turns 70 yrs old, the signal never goes off.
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Rule #1. Never, ever take Padgett seriously.
Is there a signal for that?
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
1)

2) Mark, I WAS hurt, you dork!
he he he he ha ha giggle ha ha haw haw . . . lmao

Juulie called Mark a dork.

Wait a sec. I don't think that is the first time she has done that!
Old Sat Dec 19, 2009, 09:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Yes, and for a 30 sec TO when people point their thumbs to their shoulders and, worse yet, point their pinkies out! Grrrr
I use my thumbs to the shoulders. The authorized mechanic is gay (not that's there anything wrong with that ). Think, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Seriously? I've officiated in three different metro areas in two states. ... but we always pregame the last shot as well. The reminder is good, though.

What novel concepts, pregame discussion and harmless in-game reminders. Obviously a regional thing Snaqs.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 19, 2009 at 10:10pm.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 08:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

The I'm A Little Teapot, Short And Stout Signal © 2009 BadNewsRef ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The authorized mechanic is gay (not that's there anything wrong with that).
Haven't you seen the public service announcements with Wanda Sykes and Hilary Duff? I changed professions a few years ago, and now work with several much younger colleagues. That phrase was never a part of my vocabulary until I started hearing my colleagues, in their mid 20's, using it to mean stupid. It almost became a part of my vocabulary until I saw these PSA's.

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/sWS0GVOQPs0/default.jpg

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/TVicCD8FmMs/default.jpg

Quote:
Think, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."
I always knew that this signal reminded me of something, but I could never quite put my finger on it. I think I learned this song in kindergarten, and now it's all coming back to me from the deep, dark, recesses, of my brain.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Because the person who is facing the clock is able to see when the clock is getting close to zero. Think about it. If you have a clock only on one end of the gym and you haven't switched in a couple minutes, you may only be getting very quick looks occasionally during transition. Of course we listen for the horn, but if you aren't aware of the time left, you can be surprised by the horn, and that's never good.
The quick looks should be sufficient, expecially with good communication within the crew. Plus, one of the teams will have their backs to the clock for the entire period -- someone will be notifying them of the time remaining.

I agree that you shouldn't be surprised, but having your back to the clock doesn't (or shouldn't) lead to being surprised.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I use my thumbs to the shoulders. The authorized mechanic is gay (not that's there anything wrong with that ). Think, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."

What novel concepts, pregame discussion and harmless in-game reminders. Obviously a regional thing Snaqs.

To me, thumbs to shoulders is hot dog stuff, along with fists clenched for full TO, not to mention it's a double foul signal. Kind of I'm too cool for the room.

Just me.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 25, 2009 at 09:48am.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
To me, thumbs to shoulders is hot dog stuff, along with fists clenched for full TO, not to mention it's a double foul signal. Kind of I'm too cool for the room.

Just me.
Well, that's ironic, since I've been told my officiating mechanics are too bland and I need some more flare.