The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt rules citation please

Got a fello ump @ work who is SURE he is correct. He's not.

A1 dribbling in BC passes to A2 who jumps from FC catches ball and lands in BC. Tweet - BC violation. Buddy says that this was an incorrect call as the ball never passed the division line so it could never have obtained FC status.

He is sure of his point, quite sure.

I believe that the original play was correct as called, and I have searched the forums and verified this in other threads. However there was no rules citation or definition given to support this position.

I'm @ work and don't have access to my books....anyone help a brotha?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here are your references:
4-4-4: A ball which touches a player or official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player with reference to the three factors of article 1 (inbounds/out of bounds, frontcourt/backcourt, outside/inside the three point line) is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

In your play the ball gains FC status as soon as the airborne player touched it, due to his having jumped from the FC. It's a violation as soon as he lands in the BC.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Snaq........
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

4-4-2: A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the forntcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

9.9.1D: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1 (ending the throw-in); A2 jumps from Team A's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Violation. . . A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A's frontcourt, therefore having froontcourt status.

Sounds like you are about to win a soda.

Edited: I type to slowly.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

What's the old saying: "you are where you are until you get where you going". In this case once he got there it was a violation

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I usually make this call about once a year, and the coach's only question is whether or not the player landed in the BC before catching the pass. Land then catch = no violation. catch then land = violation.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I usually make this call about once a year, and the coach's only question is whether or not the player landed in the BC before catching the pass. Land then catch = no violation. catch then land = violation.
once a year? Really? A few seasons ago it seemed like I was calling this at least once a week. Now it's down to once every few weeks I'm calling this play.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In your play the ball gains FC status as soon as the airborne player touched it, due to his having jumped from the FC. It's a violation as soon as he lands in the BC or while still airborne passes it to a teammate in the BC.
Fixed it for ya.

(And there's still weirder things that could happen that would result in a violation.)
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Fixed it for ya.

(And there's still weirder things that could happen that would result in a violation.)
For example:In your play the ball gains FC status as soon as the airborne player touched it, due to his having jumped from the FC. It's a violation as soon as he lands in the BC or while still airborne passes it to a teammate in the BC or while still airborne passes it to a teammate who is in the air (from the FC) who then lands in the BC.
(Maybe I should move this post the the Globetrotters thread)
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

deleted

Last edited by representing; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 05:00pm. Reason: double posted by accident
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

could've sworn I posted something, was it deleted?

Rule book says:

Rule 9-9 BACKCOURT
Article 3

A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

So no, there is no backcourt violation. No team control during throw-ins, and the rulebook said you may jump from FC to BC while catching the ball mid-air.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post

Rule book says:

Rule 9-9 BACKCOURT
Article 3

A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

So no, there is no backcourt violation. No team control during throw-ins, and the rulebook said you may jump from FC to BC while catching the ball mid-air.

9-9-3 only applies to a player from the team not in control (defense) or during a throw-in. They are the exceptions to rule 9-9-1. In the case of the OP, it is a violation
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post

Rule book says:

Rule 9-9 BACKCOURT
Article 3

1. The OP is not a throwin, A2 is not on defense, and it's not during a jump ball, so the exceptions don't apply.

2. There seems to be some misconception on this whole exception thing anyway. The fact that there's no team control during a throwin isn't really relevant to the application of the exception, because once the ball is caught in the air, team control is established along with FC status.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. The OP is not a throwin, A2 is not on defense, and it's not during a jump ball, so the exceptions don't apply.

2. There seems to be some misconception on this whole exception thing anyway. The fact that there's no team control during a throwin isn't really relevant to the application of the exception, because once the ball is caught in the air, team control is established along with FC status.
1) oh right, my bad. I thought this was about a throw-in. In another thread someone asked about throwing the ball in and this happened. That's why I thought my post was deleted, because I made this same argument in the other thread, not this one. Thanks for the clarification.

2) 9-9-3 says that it doesn't matter where the player jumps from. He/she may legally jump from FC and land with one or both feet in the BC. It doesn't even matter where the first foot lands, as long as the second foot is in the BC, that player has in BC status. Just be ready to explain this to a coach if this happens

Last edited by representing; Wed Dec 16, 2009 at 05:18pm.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 05:52pm
In Time Out

throw in part messes some people up including myself but I'm getting it down. not a throw in I've called the BC jump a few times but never from FC to BC. In a two person crew it might be hard to spot.