The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 08:59am
Ch1town

Technical foul help

Greetings all,

Had a sitch where a team technical foul was accessed for calling an excessive TO & the offended coach wanted two different players to shoot the FTs. Some guys say its illegal, I say its legal.

In my opinion, rule 8-3 covers it by saying, the coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

8.2 Situation A covers it a bit, but its still kinda confusing (if you're looking to make an argument for it being an illegal act).

Does anyone know of a more clear cut caseplay or test question I could use for support?

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Greetings all,

Had a sitch where a team technical foul was accessed for calling an excessive TO & the offended coach wanted two different players to shoot the FTs. Some guys say its illegal, I say its legal.

In my opinion, rule 8-3 covers it by saying, the coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

8.2 Situation A covers it a bit, but its still kinda confusing (if you're looking to make an argument for it being an illegal act).

Does anyone know of a more clear cut caseplay or test question I could use for support?

Thanks!

8.2A, last sentence (that's from last year's book. I assume it's in the current book as well).

Note that the rule ins different in NCAA.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:14am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
8.2A, last sentence (that's from last year's book. I assume it's in the current book as well).

Note that the rule ins different in NCAA.
Thank Bob! Yes it is in this years casebook as well. My thing is that the injury part of the sitch seems to confuse... some people.

If anybody has a more clear cut caseplay, I would appreciate it!! Or even a caseplay involving a substitute between technical foul FTs would help.

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I cant quote the rule but yes, on a two shot technical (all of them), two different players can shoot the shots.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 11:29am
M.A.S.H.

From the 2003-2004 NFHS Rules Interps

SITUATION 13: Technical foul shooter A1 attempts the first free throw and substitute A6 attempts the second. RULING: Legal. Technical foul free throws may be attempted by any player or eligible substitute. Therefore, two different players may attempt the throws. (8-3)
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 11:38am
Ch1town

Whoop there it is!! Appreciate ya tjones1.