The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul questions

#1 Coach requests TO. Granted. However, he's out of them.

#2 A6 when told to "go in" runs onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball.

In #1, does the coach get the seatbelt since this is a team T? Does it count towards his T count that determines if he is ejected?

#2 Does A6 get the T since this is a "substitute T?" Does the coach get the seatbelt? Does it count against his total # Ts for ejection purposes?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
#1 Coach requests TO. Granted. However, he's out of them.

#2 A6 when told to "go in" runs onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball.

In #1, does the coach get the seatbelt since this is a team T? Does it count towards his T count that determines if he is ejected?
Administrative T, no indirect to coach (no seat-belt), but counts towards team-foul count.

Quote:
#2 Does A6 get the T since this is a "substitute T?" Does the coach get the seatbelt? Does it count against his total # Ts for ejection purposes?
A6 gets a T for entering court without being beckoned. This counts towards his 2 T limit, his 5 personal limit, and is added to the team count. No indirect to the coach.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

#1 is a team technical. Team technicals do not result in an indirect to the coach.

#2 is a substitute technical. Substitute technicals do not result in an indirect to the coach.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
#1 is a team technical. Team technicals do not result in an indirect to the coach.

#2 is a substitute technical. Substitute technicals do not result in an indirect to the coach.
Ok, I think that has been covered before, but when the team as a whole gets a T, who gets it marked against in the scorebook?

I've always had the understanding that if the T is against a specific player, mark it against them, however if due to something beyond the control of the coach (i.e. administrative T or fan conduct) it is still marked against the coach.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 08:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Ok, I think that has been covered before, but when the team as a whole gets a T, who gets it marked against in the scorebook?

I've always had the understanding that if the T is against a specific player, mark it against them, however if due to something beyond the control of the coach (i.e. administrative T or fan conduct) it is still marked against the coach.
The only technicals charged to the coach are direct, for his own behavior, or indirect, for the behavior of bench personnel.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The only technicals charged to the coach are direct, for his own behavior, or indirect, for the behavior of bench personnel.
I was figuring that was the case, however it wasn't clearly explained to me

Hopefully after reading through the book "Officiating Basketball" written by the NFHS in 2005, I'll have a more clear understanding.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've not seen that book (unless it's known under another name), but from the name I suspect it's not going to be a good replacement for the rules book. So, here is a brief recap of the types of technical fouls that exist in high school basketball.
  • Team technical - Includes: administrative, delay of game, more than five players playing, excessive time out. Penalty - Counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Substitute technical - Entering the game without reporting to the scorer or without being beckoned. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Player technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, dunking/grabbing rim before game or during halftime, intentional or flagrant foul during dead ball, delay returning after a throw-in, lots of stuff you'll never see. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Bench technical - Includes: unsporting behavior committed by the folks on the bench, which includes all players during before the game and halftime, entering the court without permission. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the offender, and an indirect technical foul to the head coach; counts towards the offender's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Coach technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, not sitting or leaving the coaching box, not replacing a disqualified or injured player within 20 seconds, allowing a player to participate with an illegal jersey. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the head coach; counts toward the team foul count; two shots plus the ball.

Notice that only coach technicals and bench technicals carry an indirect to the coach as part of the penalty.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've not seen that book (unless it's known under another name), but from the name I suspect it's not going to be a good replacement for the rules book. So, here is a brief recap of the types of technical fouls that exist in high school basketball.
  • Team technical - Includes: administrative, delay of game, more than five players playing, excessive time out. Penalty - Counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Substitute technical - Entering the game without reporting to the scorer or without being beckoned. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Player technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, dunking/grabbing rim before game or during halftime, intentional or flagrant foul during dead ball, delay returning after a throw-in, lots of stuff you'll never see. Penalty - Counts toward the player's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Bench technical - Includes: unsporting behavior committed by the folks on the bench, which includes all players during before the game and halftime, entering the court without permission. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the offender, and an indirect technical foul to the head coach; counts towards the offender's personal foul count; counts toward the team foul count; two shots and the ball.
  • Coach technical - Includes: unsporting behavior, not sitting or leaving the coaching box, not replacing a disqualified or injured player within 20 seconds, allowing a player to participate with an illegal jersey. Penalty - Direct technical foul to the head coach; counts toward the team foul count; two shots plus the ball.

Notice that only coach technicals and bench technicals carry an indirect to the coach as part of the penalty.
So in other words, a team technical is assessed to the team as a whole & not to anyone in particular. I HAD the understanding that a team technical would count against the coach. Thanks for the clarification.

The book "Officiating Basketball" was done in 2005 by the NFHS Officials Education Program, & was developed by the American Sport Education Program.

So far, from what I've read, it's discussed what's expected from an official, their duties, & some floor mechanics.

I decided to check it out of the library, so that I could have a better understanding of what it takes to be an official.

I wish I had a copy of the NFHS Rule Book & Case Book, unfortunately I have no idea where I could get them for review.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
So in other words, a team technical is assessed to the team as a whole & not to anyone in particular. I HAD the understanding that a team technical would count against the coach. Thanks for the clarification.

The book "Officiating Basketball" was done in 2005 by the NFHS Officials Education Program, & was developed by the American Sport Education Program.

So far, from what I've read, it's discussed what's expected from an official, their duties, & some floor mechanics.

I decided to check it out of the library, so that I could have a better understanding of what it takes to be an official.

I wish I had a copy of the NFHS Rule Book & Case Book, unfortunately I have no idea where I could get them for review.
Go to NFHS | National Federation of State High School Associations as I am sure they are available for purchase there.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Go to NFHS | National Federation of State High School Associations as I am sure they are available for purchase there.
The other problem, having money to purchase.

I was lucky in finding "Officiating Basketball" through my library. It was the only item available through the collection that had to do with anything officiating.

Unfortunately, "Officiating Basketball" from what I can tell is no longer available through the NFHS to purchase. So the only way to read it is if your local library has it in their collection.

Last edited by chseagle; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 10:25pm.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Note - If you are a member of the NFHS, you can download it from their site. If you are a registered official with your state, you may be a member. Part of our fees in MN go to membership in NFHS, which is nice.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I was lucky in finding "Officiating Basketball" through my library. It was the only item available through the collection that had to do with anything officiating.

Unfortunately, "Officiating Basketball" from what I can tell is no longer available through the NFHS to purchase. So the only way to read it is if your local library has it in their collection.
Here you go: http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=3283
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
Note - If you are a member of the NFHS, you can download it from their site. If you are a registered official with your state, you may be a member. Part of our fees in MN go to membership in NFHS, which is nice.
I am neither an official, a coach, or AD. Therefore, I am not a member of the local/state association or NFHS.

Although I do strongly feel that those that do scoreboard/timer & shot clock, like me, should have to go through similar training & testing like the floor officials, in order to be table personnel.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

www.nfhs.com

The books are around $7. Order a rule book and case book. I'll bet you can come up with $15 or so.

Or ask the coaches at your school if they have one you can borrow. Most states send coaches one, whether they read them or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith