The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game procedure

JV Boys game last evening. A delay of game warning was called on team A in the second quarter. In the third quarter a delay of game T was initailly whistled on team B (official had forgotten that the DOG warning was only given to team A and not to B). When the official was reminded that team B had not been given a warning T was not enforced.

Question is, should the officials keep track of the delay of game warnings or should the score keeper inform the officials that said team already was warned?
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Question is, should the officials keep track of the delay of game warnings or should the score keeper inform the officials that said team already was warned?
See the 2009 Handbook, p. 43, 2.5.3 Warnings.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
JV Boys game last evening. A delay of game warning was called on team A in the second quarter. In the third quarter a delay of game T was initailly whistled on team B (official had forgotten that the DOG warning was only given to team A and not to B). When the official was reminded that team B had not been given a warning T was not enforced.

When you issue a DOG warning, you should have the scorer record it and notify the coach of the team who received the warning.

If I've issued a DOG warning in a game I remember it and I make sure my partner knows about it too.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Does anybody ever issue a DOG warning for making "contact with the free thrower (10-5-d)?" When that was first instituted 12 or so years ago you'd see that warned, and on the rarest occasion you'll see the brief huddle warned, but I cannot recall ever seeing or hearing of a warning for DOG for contacting (slapping hands or butt, bumping chests, fist thump, etc.) since the year it was initiated. Have seen warnings for the other infractions many times, and correctly so.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I believe it's both a DOG and an intentional foul. The next DOG of any kind results in a T, so make sure you've recorded the warning in the book and reported it to the coach.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I believe it's both a DOG and an intentional foul. The next DOG of any kind results in a T, so make sure you've recorded the warning in the book and reported it to the coach.
Ahem:

He's not talking about the "thrower" on a throwin, he's talking about the free thrower; as in an offensive huddle between free throws. Frequently broken with no delay, rarely enforced even when there's a short delay.

I just talk to the kids and break it up. As they're stepping into their spots, I toss the ball so that the shooter catches it just as everyone else gets to their spots. It only takes once, in my experience.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ahem:

He's not talking about the "thrower" on a throwin, he's talking about the free thrower; as in an offensive huddle between free throws. Frequently broken with no delay, rarely enforced even when there's a short delay.
Ah, right you are. Discount speed reading course told me to skip words.