The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

8th Grade Boys game. Team B commits a foul on A shooter. A's coach yells "huddle!" Immediately team A runs to sideline much like a 30 second T/O. Team B, thinking a T/O has been called, also runs to their bench. My partner and I looked at each other wondering if a T/O had been requested but neither of us granted one. I then reported the foul.
We immediately called both teams back to the game to shoot the free throws. In all, there was probably a 30 second delay. Was this the best way to handle the situation? Was there something more we could have done?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game

I like what you guys did here. Blow your whistle and/or go over and get them out of the huddles. NOW, if they continue to do this during the game, a trend has established. At this point, a delay of game penalty would be acceptable. If they do it one time only, I like the way you handled it. When in doubt, use common sense. No reason to agitate, just be courteous and get both teams moving.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

If all members of A except the shooter go to sideline, you got nothin' boss. Nothing illegal here. When we play NCAA women's rules, I usually call both of my guards over on our FTs because they can't be on the lane. Not a problem. It is kind of a free TO for those two players where I can communicate with them without yelling across the court (which I prefer not to do).

if B goes over while A is ready to shoot, they better have two people for the blocks. If a's shooter joins the party, you also got a delay problem.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
If all members of A except the shooter go to sideline, you got nothin' boss. Nothing illegal here. When we play NCAA women's rules, I usually call both of my guards over on our FTs because they can't be on the lane. Not a problem. It is kind of a free TO for those two players where I can communicate with them without yelling across the court (which I prefer not to do).

if B goes over while A is ready to shoot, they better have two people for the blocks. If a's shooter joins the party, you also got a delay problem.
All ten players went to the sidelines. My partner and I were left there staring at each other. Since we have a delay problem, what would be the proper way to handle this?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game

I would kindly ask for two players of the defensive team, so that they would satisfy the rule of having two players on the lower blocks. Also, the shooter needs to be present. So, essentially, you have two things going on here.
Common sense. Blow your whistle and verbalize, "No Time Out" Let's go guys. If it becomes a trend then delay of games need to be called.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

This is an 8th grade game - the players (and especially the coaches) are bound to be confused. Just let everyone know there is no timeout, and play on.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
I would like to add a twist to this scenario. If all of Team B players go to sideline, and Team A shooter is ready to shoot, I believe that you can go ahead and shoot the free throw without anyone on the low blocks. It would obviously be a penalty on Team B for not occupying these spots, but it is a delayed call, and only enforced if the shot is missed. Any thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost
I would like to add a twist to this scenario. If all of Team B players go to sideline, and Team A shooter is ready to shoot, I believe that you can go ahead and shoot the free throw without anyone on the low blocks. It would obviously be a penalty on Team B for not occupying these spots, but it is a delayed call, and only enforced if the shot is missed. Any thoughts?
Yes, that is true, but you're better off getting everyone properly positioned.

In this case, B thought there was a timeout because they saw A huddle. I wouldn't want to penalize them for this, even if it was somewhat stupid of them.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Good point Mark. I would do the same thing. I think your point is that at this level, things can happen that can be taken care of with common sense. It may not always be strictly by the rules, but it is in the best interest of the game. We have discussed situations like this in our association meetings, and try to give the newer officials some logical reasoning of why we would do what we do. The outcome is not always what the book says, but is fairest to all.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what the refs did. One more thing would be to tell the A coach not to do that anymore.

Z
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 11:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brost

This is not a resuming play situation. Give Team B a chance to get two players in the first spaces. If Team B does not respond to your request to put players in the first spaces and the shooter for Team A is in position to shoot the free throw then a technical foul should be charged to Team B's Head Coach for delay of game. But you need to inform Team B's Head Coach that he must release two players from his informal huddle immediately.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
If Team B does not respond to your request to put players in the first spaces and the shooter for Team A is in position to shoot the free throw then a technical foul should be charged to Team B's Head Coach for delay of game.
Mark, this would be just a team foul - not charged to the coach directly or indirectly. (10.1.5C (b))
Old Thu Jan 10, 2002, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

The Marks are correct. This is not a dealy of game warning situation. If the FT shooter isn't ready, it's a T on the shooter. If there aren't two defenders on the lower blocks after having been warned to move there immediately, then it's a team T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

While it is not a "delay of game warning" situation, when the first incident has both teams with a huddle on the sidelines, it makes good sense to let them know they need to get a shooter on the line and two defenders on the blocks or Ts will be issued to one or both teams. If B went over to huddle following A's lead, then A sent their shooter out from their huddle, it seems unfair to just hit B with the T without first letting them know they need to get on with play. A started this situation in the first place by forming the team huddle.

And, subsequent to this intial problem, if either team calls all players over to huddle on a shooting foul, they get the first T! I don't think either team will do it again.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Clarification

I thought the ruling is that if there are not two opposing in the blocks when the shooter is ready, it is a violation on the first shot (player shoots again if missed.) You then give a delay T if players not in blocks for second shot.