The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

My friends and I are going round and round on if a delay of game can be declined or not. Although it is a dead ball foul I believe that it can be declined. Situation: You are at the 40 yard line which is just out of your place kickers reach but not far enough back to really get a good placed punt. So you run out the play clock to get the five extra yards for your punter. I really believe that the defense can decline this so as the punter won't have a better angle and the five additional yards to place the ball inside the 20. Am i correct or not?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Under NF rules (which cover high school football everywhere except Texas) the foul for any distance penalty can be declined (10-1-1). So in short, yes, the defense can decline the delay penalty and "refuse" to back the kicking team up.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

You could always do a false start or snap infraction too, and I don't think those are declineable either. But that is a very interesting point. Other thoughts anyone?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
You could always do a false start or snap infraction too, and I don't think those are declineable either. But that is a very interesting point. Other thoughts anyone?
It is pretty simple--you can decline the distance penalty for any foul, even a false start. Just because you never (or almost never) see it, does not mean it cannot be done.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Also, please remember that if a delay of game penalty is declined, the clock starts on the ready. The clock only starts on the snap if a delay of game penalty is accepted.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Same in Texas under NCAA - you can decline the distance markoff on ANY foul. I've seen the intentional delay of game to help the punter declined once or twice on Sundays. Never in person though.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
Same in Texas under NCAA - you can decline the distance markoff on ANY foul. I've seen the intentional delay of game to help the punter declined once or twice on Sundays. Never in person though.
I saw it happen a number of years ago in an NFL game between Houston and I believe Cincinnati. Kickers let the play clock run out, receivers decline the penalty. Kickers let it run out again, and are hit with a 15 yard USC call.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
I saw it happen a number of years ago in an NFL game between Houston and I believe Cincinnati. Kickers let the play clock run out, receivers decline the penalty. Kickers let it run out again, and are hit with a 15 yard USC call.
Interesting!! Two delays of game with no distance penalty, but an USC foul and 15 yards. K accomplishes its original intention.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
Any penalty may be declined

Even the distance portion of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty may be declined (under NF rules). A team that continually lets the clock run out can potentially forfeit a game- but the offended team can decline the yardage even for a UC penalty.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seanireland
Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
Quote:
Interesting!! Two delays of game with no distance penalty, but an USC foul and 15 yards. K accomplishes its original intention.
Actually, as I think about this, under NF rules both the 5 yard delay and the 15 yard USC should be enforced (if you decide to hit them with the USC after the 2nd intentional delay).
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Any penalty may be declined

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hinrichs
Even the distance portion of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty may be declined (under NF rules). A team that continually lets the clock run out can potentially forfeit a game- but the offended team can decline the yardage even for a UC penalty.
So assuming that they don't learn, after the third intentional delay (and second UC penalty), the head coach gets the rest of the game off...

Fortunately, the kickers in my games aren't good enough to worry about this...