The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
As I stated before, I have a couple of Neurological disorders, & I have been told several times never to mess around with an injury to the head, or when a loss of consciousness occurs.

As I stated earlier, I did not know of anyone there that was trained medical personnel. I did not see the proper precautions/procedures being put into action.

When I was Boys' Basketball Manager back in 1997-1998, I saw a similar play happen, with similar results. Only the player got shoved head first into wood bleachers.

I know of the medical release forms from participating in track in 8th grade.

When I was going through the area of the WIAA Online Rules Clinic dealing with concussions earlier, I couldn't stop thinking of the situation, of what should of/could of been done differently.

I cannot help if I am concerned about a person's well being/safety.
What exactly are you asking us as officials? We cannot control what happens to a player (other than denying re-entry into the game) after a player is injured.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was asking for thoughts &/or opinions as I was figuring some on here might have coached before becoming officials.

Basically I was asking, if you were in the coach's shoes, how would you have handled the incident?

If you've had previous playing experience where something like this happened, what would you, from a player's POV, have wanted the coach to do?

The incident happened Tuesday night, I've giving the coach the benefit of the doubt that medical attention will be sought (although I am thinking it should of happened immediately afterwards). When I go in on Saturday to work crowd control for the Wrestling Invite & Scoreboad/Timer/Shot Clock/Crowd Control for the Boys' Basketball Games, I'll be asking the AD if the procedures are being followed as how I understand things & get his input as well.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was asking for thoughts &/or opinions as I was figuring some on here might have coached before becoming officials.

Basically I was asking, if you were in the coach's shoes, how would you have handled the incident?

If you've had previous playing experience where something like this happened, what would you, from a player's POV, have wanted the coach to do?

The incident happened Tuesday night, I've giving the coach the benefit of the doubt that medical attention will be sought (although I am thinking it should of happened immediately afterwards). When I go in on Saturday to work crowd control for the Wrestling Invite & Scoreboad/Timer/Shot Clock/Crowd Control for the Boys' Basketball Games, I'll be asking the AD if the procedures are being followed as how I understand things & get his input as well.
I'm not convinced that was your motive when you originally posted - I think you changed your perspective once you got a bunch of answers you didn't want to hear. If you wanted a coach's perspective, why didn't you just post the question in a coach's forum?

I am again wondering what answer would satisfy you?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm not convinced that was your motive when you originally posted - I think you changed your perspective once you got a bunch of answers you didn't want to hear. If you wanted a coach's perspective, why didn't you just post the question in a coach's forum?

I am again wondering what answer would satisfy you?
Am just trying to get thoughts &/or opinions on how different people would of handled the situation, if they were in the HC's, player's, &/or parents' shoes.

I'm a bit angered at the HC for how he handled the incident, but at the same time the benefit of the doubt should be given as I know he's been HC for at least 20 years. It's because of giving the HC the benefit of the doubt, that I haven't gone up to the school, continually questioning the HC about how he handled the situation.

I realize after rereading my original posting that I did leave out some stuff, that I added in later postings. That my reasoning for asking was not being clearly identified.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Consider that the HC has "been there done that." It's like being a parent. With the first child, you panic at the first sneeze and come running at the first wimper. By the time even your second child is a toddler, you learn wich cries require attention and which ones are best ignored. Do you always make the right choice? No.

Also, your OP insinuated the officials purposefully didn't call something. By your description, a foul should have been called. However, I would bet money the official didn't see it the same way you did, or he would have called the foul.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Consider that the HC has "been there done that." It's like being a parent. With the first child, you panic at the first sneeze and come running at the first wimper. By the time even your second child is a toddler, you learn wich cries require attention and which ones are best ignored. Do you always make the right choice? No.

Also, your OP insinuated the officials purposefully didn't call something. By your description, a foul should have been called. However, I would bet money the official didn't see it the same way you did, or he would have called the foul.
If I was right there in front of the play, I would of seen things a bit different. Unfortunately I was not. I know there's going to be differences as to how plays are seen depending on a person's POV. As how I saw it, the visitng player forcefully pushed the home player, but if I would of viewed the play from right next to it, it could of been that the visiting player had enough momentum that although she had stopped, her body or arm had enough residual energy for the result to occur as it did.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's like being a parent. With the first child, you panic at the first sneeze and come running at the first wimper. By the time even your second child is a toddler, you learn which cries require attention and which ones are best ignored.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but your remark reminds me of the following definition from the Parents' Dictionary:

sterilize: vt. What one does to one's first baby's pacifier by boiling it, and one's last baby's pacifier by blowing on it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Or, both players were jumping into each other and therefore neither could rightfully be called for a foul. All sorts of possibilities. I am glad you recognize that, though.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am just trying to get thoughts &/or opinions on how different people would of handled the situation, if they were in the HC's, player's, &/or parents' shoes.

HC: Evaluate the situation and call for medical / trainer assistance if needed. That was apparently done (and decided it wasn't needed).

Players: Get back to the game.

Parent: Assess the situation from the stands and decide whether to get involved. Probably not given the information you've given us. No way of determining whether this was done.

There's no way for any of us here to decide whether the coach's actions were in any way deficient. That's why none of us has given an answer that you seem to want. And, unless you're trained in this, my advice would be to STFU about it (at your school).
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm a bit angered at the HC for how he handled the incident, but at the same time the benefit of the doubt should be given as I know he's been HC for at least 20 years. It's because of giving the HC the benefit of the doubt, that I haven't gone up to the school, continually questioning the HC about how he handled the situation.

I realize after rereading my original posting that I did leave out some stuff, that I added in later postings. That my reasoning for asking was not being clearly identified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
HC: Evaluate the situation and call for medical / trainer assistance if needed. That was apparently done (and decided it wasn't needed).

Players: Get back to the game.

Parent: Assess the situation from the stands and decide whether to get involved. Probably not given the information you've given us. No way of determining whether this was done.

There's no way for any of us here to decide whether the coach's actions were in any way deficient. That's why none of us has given an answer that you seem to want. And, unless you're trained in this, my advice would be to STFU about it (at your school).
I'm just trying to get an appropriate interpretation as to the new Concussion Management regulations, considering it's a state law now. From my understanding, the Lystedt Law is the first of it's kind in the US.

Like I stated above in my previous post, I'm giving the HC the benefit of the doubt that after the game he took the additional steps needed. When I go in Saturday, I'll be asking the AD if the player's alright, mentioning the fact I am concerned about her health/well being, especially after reading the WIAA Online Rules Clinic section concerning concussion management. This way, I can get an in-person interpretation of what I read, so that I can have a better understanding.

My alma matter is located in a small farming community, & I'm sure I'm not the only spectator that's concerned about the player.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 04:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm just trying to get an appropriate interpretation as to the new Concussion Management regulations, considering it's a state law now. From my understanding, the Lystedt Law is the first of it's kind in the US.

Like I stated above in my previous post, I'm giving the HC the benefit of the doubt that after the game he took the additional steps needed. When I go in Saturday, I'll be asking the AD if the player's alright, mentioning the fact I am concerned about her health/well being, especially after reading the WIAA Online Rules Clinic section concerning concussion management. This way, I can get an in-person interpretation of what I read, so that I can have a better understanding.

My alma matter is located in a small farming community, & I'm sure I'm not the only spectator that's concerned about the player.

These concerns would be more appropriate for the AD, principal, or school board.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to get an appropriate interpretation as to the new Concussion Management regulations, considering it's a state law now.
Unless the law requires you, in whatever role you had at that game, to get involved, then your interpretation, just as with the assistant coach checking the book, should be to ignore it.

Look, I like people who do more than the minimum. I don't like people who say, "it's not my job." But, you need to recognize that not every little thing that goes on in the gym is something that you should get involved in.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Unless the law requires you, in whatever role you had at that game, to get involved, then your interpretation, just as with the assistant coach checking the book, should be to ignore it.

Look, I like people who do more than the minimum. I don't like people who say, "it's not my job." But, you need to recognize that not every little thing that goes on in the gym is something that you should get involved in.
I was just a spectator to the events, as the whole time I was behind the scorers' table as crowd control to make sure no unauthorized personnel went into the locker room area.

I have been rethinking things, & came to the conclusion that I feel that way I do because of having the different neurological conditions, & being told by numerous medical personnel to not take a neurological injury lightly.

Like I mentioned, in an earlier post, I'll ask the AD how the player is doing, & stating my reason is due to my reading the new Concussion Management Regulations & my understanding of them, also that I am concerned for her safety. Hopefully, by asking him about the new Concussion Management guidelines, I can get a clarification of the regulation.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was just a spectator to the events, as the whole time I was behind the scorers' table as crowd control to make sure no unauthorized personnel went into the locker room area.

I have been rethinking things, & came to the conclusion that I feel that way I do because of having the different neurological conditions, & being told by numerous medical personnel to not take a neurological injury lightly.

Like I mentioned, in an earlier post, I'll ask the AD how the player is doing, & stating my reason is due to my reading the new Concussion Management Regulations & my understanding of them, also that I am concerned for her safety. Hopefully, by asking him about the new Concussion Management guidelines, I can get a clarification of the regulation.
Okay, go for it. We don't care what you do at this point.
Old Sat Dec 12, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

I do have a general question about concussions, though. I don't have my rule book, so I am not sure of the exact wording, but doesn't it say that a player with a concussion may not return without a doctor's permission. Does this mean for that particular game or for any further games? If it is for future games, how do you know? Do any states require the officials to file a report with their assignor when it appears a player received a concussion so that the crew doing the next game is aware? Or is that something that becomes a game management issue that we don't want to deal with. Seems to me it would be very hard for us to enforce and it's something I never had a crew talk about in a pre-game.