The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

A1 grabs a rebound and heads down court B1 & B2 are trying to catch up while running behind him, may 1-2 steps A1 stops bang B1 runs him over, because he didn;t have enough time to stop...Whats the call? and what would you call it?
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 06:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

This depends on where on the court that this happens.

Pretty much anywhere outside A's three-point line, then:

If A1 still has the ball, with no question of lossing possession, then I have a no-call. Otherwise, I call a pushing foul on B.

If inside A's three-point line, then it's a B push.

No of course, many things come into effect. If it's in the key, and there's just the two people there, and the push is clearly before a try, and B continues OOB after loosing his balance, then I let A have the uncontested 2-footer. And score and time come into effect as well. (You could even use this to "even out" the fouls if they're 8-to-1.)

..Mike

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Jan 10th, 2001 at 05:42 AM]
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Excellent situational awareness Mike - like the thought process on the call/no call. What about A pulling up for 3 pointer just outside line and B1's contact prevents immediate shot and allows B2 to get into defensive position? I assume you aren't sacrosanct about the line, but mean to imply that where a socring opportunity exists and is potentially denied, you are probably more likely to give the foul call (also explains your philosophy on B falling OOB near paint and A scoring).
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 07:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Yes, you are correct. As with any "play", discussing it in text is helpful, but it doesn't compare to seeing the actual play. Now, of course, some are black and white. (Example: A1 secures a defensive rebound and dribbles in the BC for 11 seconds.)

As for the situation you described... if A1 stops in 3-pt land, and is not in the process of "pulling up" for the shot (normal habitual movement), then I gotta call it a common foul, providing it is not ticky-tack. (Now, of course, this changes as the level of ball changes. I mostly do Varsity (Senior here in Canada) basketball, but this weekend I do have some grade 7/8 games.) Something here has to occur first - the beginning of A's habitual movement for a 3-pt try, or the contact on A.

If A pulls up for a 3-pointer, but B contacts A before A tries for a goal (before A pulls up), and then gets in defensive position, then it's a definite B foul. In this scenario, I think the contact would have to have been more than ticky-tack for B to gain the defensive position.

..Mike
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 07:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigal
A1 grabs a rebound and heads down court B1 & B2 are trying to catch up while running behind him, may 1-2 steps A1 stops bang B1 runs him over, because he didn;t have enough time to stop...Whats the call? and what would you call it?
Bigal,
B1 gets called for a push.
Now, in another situation, if A1 is dribbling, stops, takes a step backward and backs into B1. I may have a player control foul on A1.
mick