The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Test part II question

Don't remember exact wording, wasn't on my test, but friend of mind asked me...

True or False---

It is a violation when Team A with control in A's frontcourt, fumbles ball into backcourt (no deflection or touch by team B) and does not retrieve/return to frontcourt within 10 seconds.

Obviously if A touches ball in BC we have a violation but what if they decide not to touch and ball remains untouched by either team?

Basically, the question is asking...do we have a restart of a 10 sec count when the ball goes into the backcourt?

We still have Team control by A and ball is in A's backcourt....

Last edited by midtnblu; Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 12:12pm.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What are the requirements for a ten second count? Team control and BC status.
Are they met in this scenario? Yes.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy sitch. Anyone ever had this happen in a game?
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, because it never takes that long for A1 to touch it.
Here's the kicker, you should start a count here even if B is the last to touch it in the FC, since TC continues. Here's it's possible to have 3 or 4 seconds elapse before A1 gets to the ball.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 02:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Crazy sitch. Anyone ever had this happen in a game?
I came close during a middle school game. Some players from both sides approached the ball and stared at it while I had a count going. I got up to 8 before an A player picked the ball up.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silly Rabbit ???

It was either a NFHS, or IAABO refresher exam, about twenty years ago, definitely after we switched from calling five second throwin violations on the touch inbounds to the release of the throwin pass. Question went something like this: From his backcourt endline, A1 makes the throwin pass, the ball comes to rest in the backcourt, untouched by the other nine players for ten seconds. Official calls a ten second violation. The correct answer was false, but what is the correct call? The game clock never started. The ball is not in the control of Team A in their backcourt, so a ten second count isn't started. Silly question because eventually someone will pick up the ball. By theoretical rule, not practical rule, what is the correct call after ten, fifteen, twenty, etc., seconds? We could be there forever. I would never get to enjoy my adult beverage after the game. I could still be there. Help. Get me out of this gym. This is worse than Mark Padgett's worst overtime nightmare.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 10, 2009 at 08:01pm.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was either a NFHS, or IAABO refresher exam, about twenty years ago, definitely after we switched from calling five second throwin violations on the touch inbounds to the release of the throwin pass. Question went something like this: From his backcourt endline, A1 makes the throwin pass, the ball comes to rest in the backcourt, untouched by the other nine players for ten seconds. Official calls a ten second violation. The correct answer was false, but what is the correct call? The game clock never started. The ball is not in the control of Team A in their backcourt, so a ten second count isn't started. Silly question because eventually someone will pick up the ball. By theoretical rule, not practical rule, what is the correct call after ten, fifteen, twenty, etc., seconds? We could be there forever. I would never get to enjoy my adult beverage after the game. I could still be there. Help. Get me out of this gym. This is worse than Mark Padgett's worst overtime nightmare.
You should ask Padgett where he gets his meds.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The correct answer was false, but what is the correct call?

Double team Ts for allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest (10-1-5). Readminister the throw in. If it happens again, end (suspend) the contest and let the league / state deal with it.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What are the requirements for a ten second count? Team control and BC status.
Are they met in this scenario? Yes.
Rule 9-8

A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

It is not as you say Team Control and BC status, but team control in the BC. There is no 10 second count until Team A gains legal control of the ball in their BC. In the OP if they are the first to touch it in the Back Court then there is a violation. If Team B touches it first and then A gains control we have another 10 second count.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:10am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Rule 9-8

A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

It is not as you say Team Control and BC status, but team control in the BC. There is no 10 second count until Team A gains legal control of the ball in their BC. In the OP if they are the first to touch it in the Back Court then there is a violation. If Team B touches it first and then A gains control we have another 10 second count.
Incorrect. By rule, once the ball gains backcourt status the 10-second count begins.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 9-8

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 8:
A1 is dribbling in his/her frontcourt when B1 deflects the ball into A's backcourt. The ball is bouncing toward the end line in A's backcourt while A1 and B1 give chase. B1 and A1 each contact the ball, but neither gains control. Finally, after numerous attempts by each player, A1 gains possession deep in A's backcourt. When does the 10-second count begin anew for Team A? RULING: The count starts as soon as the ball goes into the backcourt since team control has not ended. (4-12-3; 9-8)
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 8:
A1 is dribbling in his/her frontcourt when B1 deflects the ball into A's backcourt. The ball is bouncing toward the end line in A's backcourt while A1 and B1 give chase. B1 and A1 each contact the ball, but neither gains control. Finally, after numerous attempts by each player, A1 gains possession deep in A's backcourt. When does the 10-second count begin anew for Team A? RULING: The count starts as soon as the ball goes into the backcourt since team control has not ended. (4-12-3; 9-8)
I stand corrected, well, actually I'm sitting, but you get the picture!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is not as you say Team Control and BC status, but team control in the BC. .

Just the opposite.

Edit: As I see you now know.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2009, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
You should ask Padgett where he gets his meds.
Sorry - I promised the guy I wouldn't reveal which corner he's on.