The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Communication issue

I need advice from some different officials -

Background - I am a JV coach - and I am a little loud - doesn't mean rude - but loud. I yell plays, directions, encouragements and corrections to my players. And sometimes I am a little loud with officials - (and before you get judgemental in 12 years as a HS coach I have 1 technical - and been warned 3 times to sit down and zip it - okay maybe 4)

Anyway - We played in a game last night that became VERY physical. I asked my captains to talk to the lead official because play was pretty bad around the hoop. so they asked if the official could watch physical play under the basket.

The response - loud enough for the bench to hear - "there is nothing to watch for- IF there was I would call it"

as the game progressed on there is a girl with a Major concussion, one with an elbow so swollen that she can't bend it, one with torn tendons in her shoulder and about 5 others that where all iced up at the end of the game (not all on my team)

When the elbow girl was thrown to the floor by her jersey right in front of the lead official I of course complained. She said there was no foul and threatened to throw me out. (no T given - No warning - Not asked to sit down)

What would be proper procedure to approach the association about this ref and this incident? or if I have this official again how do I properly approach them about handling very rough game play without putting them in the position of being on the defensive?

Thanks for any input
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

If you have video of the game, send it to the state office. If it all happened as you say, this is a problem that needs to be addressed. As for how to approach the officials, it sounds to me like you handled it okay, but were inappropriately rebuffed.

Now I wasn't there, I didn't see how all this went down, I did not observe what interactions you may have had prior to this, . But if everything happened just as you describe, this is a problem. You were right to voice your concerns. And you'd be right to escalate this through proper channels.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree, taking what you're saying at face value, with BITS. Communication through your AD to the assigner would be appropriate, if your area uses a central assigner. If your AD is the assigner, then I would address it with him and see how far he wants to take it.

I'll offer my theory (the most charitable one) for this situation. There is a progression that officials go through, in general.

They start off timid, missing some calls and late on others. Sometimes they're so late they just let it go.

They then start to call anything and everything. Virtually all contact is a foul, without regard to advantage.

Then they learn about advantage/disadvantage as it applies to fouls, and have to call quite a few games and learn how to apply it properly. This normally involves letting too much contact go and learning from it. It seems like this is where your officials were last night; hopefully. I would also hope that they are evaluating themselves rather than pi$$ing and moaning about that whiny coach.

It sounds like you did what you could to talk to them, and it sounds like they were not willing to talk. It happens for various reasons. Most likely, he knew he missed it and reacted poorly to being called out.

One question I always react more positively to, is a quiet (while I'm standing near) "Why wasn't that a foul?" It's a question I can answer, and it's quiet and polite.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Shutting Up, But I'm Not Sitting Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcoach03 View Post
I have 1 technical - and been warned 3 times to sit down,.
Assuming you're in a coaching box state (not a "seat belt" state) there is no such rule that allows an official to "warn" you to sit down. The only time a head coach has to sit down is after he receives a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

The OP is one of the reasons that not many coaches will complain about you calling too much, especially if they know the game is physical. Blow the whistle, be consistent, and you won't have many problems.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
If you have video of the game, send it to the state office. If it all happened as you say, this is a problem that needs to be addressed. As for how to approach the officials, it sounds to me like you handled it okay, but were inappropriately rebuffed.
Agree, take your video and get r done. Generally speakin most of us are a proud hard working bunch who love the game as much or more than most coaches and spectators. If they are truely this horrible get them out. Safety of the players should always come first and then equal administration of the true spirts of the rules. Keep doin what ur doin.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't going to be a popular response, but sadly it contains a great deal of truth.

Complaining won't change anything. The state/local association likely won't do anything, unless a lawsuit gets filed. With what schools are currently paying HS officials, you are fortunate to get what you have, especially on the girls side.

There just aren't people lining up to officiating a girls JV game.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 11:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is a JV game, get some perspective. You can send everything to the state or the association; it does not mean you will get much better officials. As usually the officials are working that level are probably not good enough to work varsity or they would likely not be there. Honestly hope that you are not referencing an injury as a sign of anything. Basketball is a physical sport by nature. Things happen and a foul is not going to change those sore body parts. Just be happy you did not get T'd and take it as a learning experience. Just because you complain (which is technically illegal) does not mean everyone wants to hear you. And I do disagree with some here, if I warn you there is a reason. Because the next thing is I will just "stick" you and not say anything. Understand dealing with coaches and officials is an art. Not everyone has the capacity to say the right things and certainly not every official wants to hear a coach complain all night either.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
Generally speakin most of us are a proud hard working bunch who love the game as much or more than most coaches and spectators.
This is really irrelevant. There are plenty of crappy refs who love the game. With that said, there are two sides to every story. I would take the OP with a grain of salt without knowing what really happened in the game.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
This is really irrelevant. There are plenty of crappy refs who love the game. With that said, there are two sides to every story. I would take the OP with a grain of salt without knowing what really happened in the game.
You said the same thing in your post that js1969 said in his post. If his is irrelevant, so is yours.

(Perhaps that makes my post irrelevant).
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
You said the same thing in your post that js1969 said in his post. If his is irrelevant, so is yours.

(Perhaps that makes my post irrelevant).
I took his statement to imply that most of us love the game, therefore we are good refs. So I was attempting to say just the opposite - just because you love the game doesn't make you a good ref. Perhaps my statement is irrelevant as well. All that matters are the refs in this particular game and none of us have anything to go on other than a coach's, probably biased, perspective.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Nevadaref;641190]This isn't going to be a popular response, but sadly it contains a great deal of truth.

Complaining won't change anything. The state/local association likely won't do anything, unless a lawsuit gets filed. With what schools are currently paying HS officials, you are fortunate to get what you have, especially on the girls side. QUOTE]

Probably 99.9% true.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There just aren't people lining up to officiating a girls JV game.
Not quite true around here. Two of the requirements to work playoffs are to have worked a minimum number of JV games and a minimum number of girls games. Working a girls JV game counts for both.
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 11:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
[QUOTE=j51969;641276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This isn't going to be a popular response, but sadly it contains a great deal of truth.

Complaining won't change anything. The state/local association likely won't do anything, unless a lawsuit gets filed. With what schools are currently paying HS officials, you are fortunate to get what you have, especially on the girls side. QUOTE]

j51969 - Probably 99.9% true.
99.9%? If you're talking about the officials - Not where I work. If you're talking about the lawsuits - I have no idea.

I am trying to work my way up to a full V schedule, but I'm not there yet. Tough to climb the mountain in my Association and maybe others. I still get my share of F/JV games (along with V games) as do some of my peers. As recommended on this Forum and by my mentors - never turn down a game if you don't have to and work, work, work to gain experience.

Our Association does well reporting problems to the state too.

While the statement may have some truth and it may be a high percentage, I believe your 99.9% is unfair to hard working officials trying to get ahead and to Associations who work hard supporting their officials.

My $.02
Old Thu Dec 10, 2009, 11:02am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I am trying to work my way up to a full V schedule, but I'm not there yet. Tough to climb the mountain in my Association and maybe others.
Do you belong to Cardinal? When I lived in the area I heard some bad things about moving up in that association.